Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crossing tup for Shetland ewes  (Read 10160 times)

Merrie Dancer

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Crossing tup for Shetland ewes
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 05:59:08 pm »
I was going to say a wensleydale, as its one of those breeds that were mainly for producing rams to put to hardier ewes.
mind you a wensleyX has wild hair day - everyday.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 06:41:11 pm »
Sally, would you be able to find out where your next door farm got their Romney from? I've emailed the Society, to ask if there are any northern breeders.

Interesting that the Charmoise has Romney in the mix too. Charmoise better than Texel (and Charollais?) I think as smaller heads.

Yes, I'd like to keep the fleeces fine if I can. BFL would be the easiest tup to get round here. But I'm interested in seeing if I can get a Romney I think. I love both Teeswaters and Wensleydales, but same issue as GFDs - just too big.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 07:15:14 pm »
Charmoise have very small heads and are teeny tiny at birth, they literally shoot out and hit the ground running, My pedigree charmoise lambs weigh around 10kgs now at 3 weeks old and were born between 3-4kgs each, so low birth weights but high growth rates  :thumbsup:

I am looking forwards to the Charmoise cross shetland lambs I will be making next year  :thumbsup:

I dont have a very good photo of my Charmoise ram (he currently has a purple and blue head) but this is a photo that shows what they look like

Im sure you could get plenty of info/photos from Me (Tom) about charmoise on this forum

After having a stuck hampshire/charollais ram lamb from a ewe today that was wedged around its actual skull, I think my ewes can go to the charmoise next year instead
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 07:17:56 pm by Ladygrey »

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 07:38:20 pm »
Yep if anyone would like honest information on Charmoise pm Me and I will bore you witless! They are a great little sheep, easy lambing, muscular, the highest meat-bone ratio you will find, vigorous, do well on poor grasses and hard as nails (Lady Grey can confirm conditions with Me vary from hard to harder).
ps if interested have a look at the Charmoise Sheep Breeders Facebook page
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 07:41:31 pm by Me »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 02:45:06 am »
Sally, would you be able to find out where your next door farm got their Romney from? I've emailed the Society, to ask if there are any northern breeders.

Yes of course.  Remind me if I don't get back to you - head like sieve these days  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2014, 02:49:19 am »
Took a few pics today.

Here are some of Dora.  Dad is a Shetland (grandpa to yours, I think, jaykay), and Mum is 1/2 Charollais, 1/4 Beltex, 1/8 BFL, 1/8 Swaledale.   Dora's half-brother and cousin Cap'n is the tup I used on my fleece sheep this year, and his fleece is lovely. :hugsheep: :spin:  (Stupidly never took a pic of Cap'n as a grown lamb.)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 02:51:22 am »
And some of the BFL x Shetlands:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 02:56:54 am »
And, not what you will want to do but interesting I think, the Manx x Shetlands.  I'm dying to get the fleeces off them and to see how they breed next year.  Dulcie Grey, the grey katmoget, is an outstanding gimmer (even BH likes her!) and, as far as you can tell on the hoof, the most beautiful fleece.  Harry Potter (different dad, Pricket didn't like Jack Frost and broke black Zebedee out of his stable  ::)) has quite a nice fleece too, but not in the same league as Dulcie.  Dulcie has beautiful even black horns, HP is polled.

Pricket is in lamb to Cap'n this year - goodness knows what she's cooking in there...  :o
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:02:54 am by SallyintNorth »

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 09:31:43 pm »
Lovely sheep Sally  :thumbsup: I really like the look of dora, she looks just like my one Charollais cross shetland!!

I have just had a lovely lamb born to a first timer shetland shearling, she gave birth un assisted to a single ewe lamb, such a fab lamb!! soooo solid and so so pretty!! she also has the short shetland tail  :thumbsup:

The lamb is out of my Charollais cross hampshire down ram, looking forwards to seeing what he has produced on the rest of my shetlands and cant wait to see how this lamb grows!!

All of my cross bred lambs this year have short tails  :thumbsup:
apart from my Charollais/Hampshire down cross Texel/Mule....... but he is an elephant...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 09:49:52 pm »
That's a very cute lamb  :love: And about four times the size of the little pure Shetland twins one of mine has just had, already!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS