Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 16 yr old in Sheep  (Read 5731 times)

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
16 yr old in Sheep
« on: April 01, 2014, 09:05:46 pm »
Hello all!
I'm Archie, I'm 16 and I live on my parents 40 acre holding. My Mum and Sister are big into their horses and my Dad used to be! I have 10 ageing Ewes and one rather small, pointless, cross bred Ram...
The theory is that all the Ewes are in Lamb but that's doubtful, the Ram went to them 23rd of November and so far a few are beginning to bag up. One Ewe is looking fit to burst mind!
Most of the year they live in a 3 acre perry pear Orchard yet when it get's wet (which it does, properly) they either go in the dedicated Sheds and yard or a hay field, depending on the yield we require! This used to be a couple of hundred acre farm in the 50s but the surrounding Arable farms have grown...
Anyway, this site has proved very useful so I have joined :)
Sheep have two missions in life; escape and die. If they can do both at the same time they're happy!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: 16 yr old in Sheep
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:15:22 pm »
Hi Little Landy Lover  :wave:  and welcome to the forum.  There are lots of helpful folk on here, and from your opening post it sounds as though you will be able to give some of us advice too.   I used to have sheep and other livestock, but sold up a while ago as I am a bit too achy and crocked up to look after them. 

I am sure there will be lots more folk along soon to say hi and welcome  :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 09:56:07 pm »
Hi, LLL, and welcome to TAS.  :wave:

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 11:48:04 pm »
hello= welcome aboard great forum to be part of

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 12:16:14 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum!!

I have 6 Gotland sheep - 3 ewes, a ram and two wethers.  Hoping the ewes will lamb soon, but not sure exactly when they are due!!  They are enormous, but only one has bagged up so far.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 01:54:05 am »
Hi there  :wave:

We have a commercial flock lambing at the moment but I also have my own wee fleece flock.  They ran with a crossbred tup lamb and I have no dates.  I thought they would all have lambed by 25th March but in fact only two had lambed by then, and they were stillbirths so could have been a little premature too. 

Now Sadie has lambed her twins, 4 more are definitely in lamb - huge and bagged or bagging up - 1 was scanned geld, I was scanned in lamb but I think has since lost them and 1 wasn't scanned and I think she's geld.

All I can say at the moment is that they will all lamb this month, because the tup came off on 1st December!

Here's a pic of Sadie and her two. 1 of each.  There's a lot of Shetland in the mix, plus a touch of Castlemilk Moorit, BFL and Swaledale, and some Beltex and some Charollais.  I guess I should call them Pick and Mix!   :roflanim:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 08:03:54 am »
Hello!  Good luck with your sheep.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 12:57:12 pm »
Welcome from Caithness  :wave:

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 06:55:49 pm »
Thanks for the Welcome peeps.
From Memory I can recall that;
the Tup is Charollais/CastleMelk Moorit with some Lambeunog.

Three Ewes that are Cotswold (un Named)

Three are Cleans (Rich [looks like dad's friend], Fee [may as well be Rich's Wife] and Popeye [Crows attacked her as a Lamb])

Two Lambeunogs (Lottie and Rita, Lottie is my Favourite)

A Jacob called Barbra (not me, sorry...)

And Jeffex (again not my fault) who has some Suffolk, Exmor horn, Lambuenog, Jacob AND CastleMelk Moorit in her... She huge, Grey/black and horned. My friends insist she is the Ram and not my actual Ram  :-\

I used to make hay in the Orchard before the sheep came, that was always a good game! There's a choice of tractors, Ford 4600 with power steering and comfy seat but loader and cab or David Brown 880 which fits under the trees allot better but has a horrible seat and really heavy steering (oversize tyres...). I'm very grateful to be grazing the Orchard and cutting the 8 acre GM Silage field that we grazed for 15 years so it's now like turf but grows like hell!! Perfect for me but the latest I can cut is mid June because it's designed for spring cuts :(

I'm not fussed about breeds as you may be able to guess... I do not like Blue faced Leicester though...

Thanks again.
Archie
Sheep have two missions in life; escape and die. If they can do both at the same time they're happy!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 07:16:36 pm »
 :wave: Hi Archie! Sounds like a great mixture - hope you do get some lamb as they will be interesting results! Can't wait for pics!

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 01:32:33 pm »
Hello  :wave:

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 10:05:19 pm »
Hi Archie, this forum is great for help and advice!  I have a flock of 10 ewes, all a mixture of this and that!!  Yep they all have names!!  And a gorgeous Romney Ram!  And a retirement flock of 4 old girls!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS