Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Deep litter for chickens  (Read 4664 times)

Mathewr

• Joined Nov 2013
Deep litter for chickens
« on: April 01, 2014, 04:23:34 pm »
Has anyone got experience of using a deep litter system for chickens in a coop with a wooden floor?  I'm experimenting with it but keep getting amonia which tells me its not working right  - there's plenty of info for deep litter in earth floors, which is all well and good, but I have a wooden floor and I'm stuck with it - so - any ideas on making it work?

Thanks
Mathew

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Deep litter for chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 04:42:22 pm »
You need the microbes from earth for deep litter systems to work properly as it is effectively a compost heap.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:59:33 pm »
Used deep litter system in my layers shed for years and it has a wooden floor. I use woodchip for bedding but and this maybe the difference i dont feed pellets so all my birds droppings are dry to the all grain diet.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Ryder

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 09:23:46 am »
Has anyone got experience of using a deep litter system for chickens in a coop with a wooden floor?  I'm experimenting with it but keep getting amonia which tells me its not working right  - there's plenty of info for deep litter in earth floors, which is all well and good, but I have a wooden floor and I'm stuck with it - so - any ideas on making it work?

Thanks
Mathew

You could probably make it work with a lot of experimenting, but it's just complicating the matter by having a wooden floor and the compost will probably take longer to form. What bedding are you using?

I had a wooden floor deep litter in my shed for about 6 months.  I could always smell ammonia there, especially in the mornings, no matter how deep I made it and my ventilation is exceptional as one side of shed is almost half gone (the top half so the chickens do not get caught in draughts) with ventilation in 2 other sides also.  I had tried card, straw and pine shavings for bedding and I also had a few spades of soil chucked into the bedding too, but it was always the same, compost not forming as quick as it should and ammonia smell apparent.

In the end I got a jigsaw and cut out the floor of the shed all around the edges to get back to earth floor.  Ammonia  smell is all but gone now, compost is forming nicely and general health of flock seems better.  Like I said, it probably can be done with a wooden floor after a lot of experimenting, but it is more complicated for sure.  I know you said your stuck with the wooden floor but seriously, if at all possible, cut out the wooden floor or don't use deep litter IMO, I failed trying to make it work.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:26:16 am by Ryder »

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 12:02:32 am »
We use a deep litter system on bare ground but sprinkle with d-earth (dont ask me to spell the full thing...) if it starts to smell
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 08:54:49 am »
luckily a friend has a joinery shop so I get big bags of woodchip.  I smell ammonia but replace every week.  Its so easy to sweep up!  At the moment I have 29 birds in a 7 x 7 shed who roam freely during the day.... I have a much bigger shed coming (its free ;D) so I'm hoping that disperses the smell....

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 11:12:40 am »
On the subject of woodchip, does it matter if the timber had been treated? Presumably the hens aren't tempted to eat it.

I have to use a layer on top of paving slabs for a few days because I can't get the proper run finished in time for my hens arriving.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 09:29:12 pm »
When you see some of the things chicken eat,  woodchip is the least of your worries
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Mathewr

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 08:45:37 pm »
Used deep litter system in my layers shed for years and it has a wooden floor. I use woodchip for bedding but and this maybe the difference i dont feed pellets so all my birds droppings are dry to the all grain diet.

Im experimenting!!!  I've seeded the shavings (about 4 inches - I'll probably add more soon) with some compost I made + some compost making liquid (that I had for making leaf mould in bin bags!) which I added in solution with a few leitres of water sprinkled on with a watering can.  The level of amonia has dropped dramatically, REALLY!.  I'm keeping up the investigations and I'm keen to see what I end up with.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 09:07:04 pm »
Will it not eventually rot your wooden floor anyway?

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 10:15:06 pm »
Sounds interesting Mathewr.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 04:10:02 pm »
This is something I'm struggling with at the moment. Our breeding pen field is very steep and I'm considering either movable housing with no floor in a net. Or some kind of composting set up as an alternative to the weekly or more clean out. If our houses are propped up at one end to stay level, we create a wedge space underneath. I'm wondering whether I could in some way box that in and use this method on the ground? I can't really see my hens getting in there to turn it though as they seem to only go in to lay or roost.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS