Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: signs of calving!!!!!  (Read 15723 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Re: signs of calving!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 05:18:49 pm »
Have now given up all hope of ever having a calf!! Never been so stressed in my life!!  My 16 year old son who owns Daisy asked me this morning if i was this excited/nervous when i was expecting him?  Ummm, no!!  Checked her a minute ago and went into panic mode as her fat tummy seems to have disapeared!  Ran into her shelter thinking she must have calved and i would find a dead calf there, no calf!  I am assuming the calf has moved up into position to be born and therefore less of a lump in her tummy!  I think i will stick to lambing, so much less stressful!  ???

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 05:50:53 pm »
thats a sign when the belly seems to have gone, as the calf  moved into the birth canal rather than lying hammock style. same with humans. I remember our first lambing with a huge wensleydale - I was looking in the field as her belly had shrunk and I thought she had lambed and a fox had took her it -  but she was a day or so away from giving birth to twins.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 12:10:18 pm »
Still no calf!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 02:35:52 pm »
Sorry, I'm smiling and that's mean.  Yes, this is what it's like!  She'll get there, in her own good time :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 05:09:37 pm »
My other half just had a right go at me.  "Leave the bloody cow alone and she will have her sodding calf, I wish you were as attentive towards me and your son"!!!!  Eeeeek, that told me!!!   :innocent: :P

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 06:45:37 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 02:13:19 pm »
Tearing my hair out now, still no calf, poor Daisy can hardly walk with her udder so large!  Noticed this morning she is leaking a bit from her teats, they are massive too.  Honestly think her udder is going to burst soon, it is solid.  Reckon i will be getting 3 add ons for her not 1!!  She is really struggling to lie down, gets down on her knees at stays like that for ages before flopping down on her huge udder!!  Am i panicing about nothing????

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 02:14:36 pm »
That sounds about right!  Sounds like she won't be too long now.   :fc:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 02:15:22 pm »
I am feeling Daisy's pain  ;D For babies, it's hot bath, hot curry, hot sex - not sure what you'd try to induce a calf  :innocent:

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 05:13:29 pm »
thank you for your reassurance ladies!  Getting so worried that something is going wrong!!  The day before i had my son who is now 16 I spent the morning tractor driving and the afternoon digging and burning ragwort.  waters broke out in a field and I turned up in hospital with ragwort green stained hands and stinking of bonfires and tractor diesel!  Desperate for her to calve just to see her looking more comfortable.  Should I offer her some chicken madras??  :innocent:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 05:42:39 pm »
are you sure she is pregnant and not just fat??  :-J :-J ;) ;)

come on girl  :excited:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 06:00:24 pm »
I spent the morning tractor driving and the afternoon digging and burning ragwort.  waters broke out in a field and I turned up in hospital with ragwort green stained hands and stinking of bonfires and tractor diesel!
            OFF post here, but you you do know that ragwort is toxic and absorbed through the skin  and can affect the liver .      and the cow will calve when she's ready .

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 08:30:06 pm »
Yeh thanks shep53, sadly know about all the dangers of ragwort, been spot spraying, pulling, digging, burning ragwort all my life and still dont wear gloves!!  Must admit, the vodka probly does more damage to my liver than the ragwort!!  :innocent:

Have walked away from Daisy and told her she has to calve tonight, left her putting her head in the haylage and throwing it around, hoping this might be a nesting/pre calving thing!!!  Ha Ha!!!!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 02:02:29 am »
Come on Daisy!!!

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 08:26:04 pm »
Thank you for the clear details Sallyintnorth :-). Been reading them carefully as my heifer is due soon. Hate it at the moment getting very nervous! Foaled lots of mares,'farrowed plenty of pigs and lambed sheep and never ever felt as wound up about any of them!! I dont know if its a step into the unknown or if its all the horror stories i hear at work (vets). Be very glad when its all over

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS