Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Talk me through the molting process?  (Read 1579 times)

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
Talk me through the molting process?
« on: March 31, 2014, 10:04:47 pm »
My poor Betsy is looking dog rough. Her coat has got very dry and dull looking and she is losing a lot of hair. I'm seeing a lot of queries around this time of year of similar. How long should this last? What action should i take? She even has a few bald patches, i think these have only appeared over the weekend.
She is a six year old BT.

Help.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 10:15:35 pm by Thrift Bee »
Thrift Bee

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Talk me through the molting process?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 10:14:13 am »
Even at this time of year she shouldn't have a rough-looking coat. Check the skin underneath - is it flakey, dry? A good shampoo (on a warm day and rugged up straight afterwards) will take off all that winter dirt/dandruff and also help to get rid of her winter coat. A good horse brush is helpful and they love a good brush. Using gardening gloves (with some grip on them so they are rough) and just rub all over... you will have her going into a trance!

I guess she does NOT have lice or some kind of mange (check her heels for scabbiness - if yes treat for heel mange with Eprinex).However, I would give her a mineral/vitamin booster - either Caprivite (fi she takes it, most of mine don't anymore) or a sheep drench containing copper. Sprinkling garlic granules and seaweed on their (damp) feed - start with really small quantities and work up.
Also branches are welcome at any time of the year - mine love to peel the willow branches right now, but anything with green bark on will be liked, and there are weeds already out - docks, dandelion and chickweed. Just vary her diet a bit as well - apples, carrots, any kind of brassicas (in moderation if she is milking) etc etc

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
Re: Talk me through the molting process?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 04:42:53 pm »
Hiya Thrift bee, another stop at the 'horsey' shop for seaweed!! As Anke says garlic nd greens as well. The wild garlic is showing here, try her with some of that.
My girl that's due to k8d is losing her coat nd I've got giat down again!! I find it entrancing!!
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS