Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi, I'm a small scale pig breeder.  (Read 3420 times)

Gaynor

• Joined Mar 2014
Hi, I'm a small scale pig breeder.
« on: March 25, 2014, 04:25:26 pm »
I have 2 Middle White sows who've just had their 2nd litter. Wanted to birth notify & poss register with BPA but have concern about tattooing their ears.  I've got a 7mm 7 character pliers which seem so big compared their little ears. Wanted to birth notify soon after 3 weeks old so I could advertise on BPA, Breed Society & RBST web site.

Has anyone had experience of tattooing piglet ears? :pig: 

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Hi, I'm a small scale pig breeder.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 05:43:04 pm »
my tattoo pliers were long so I could only tattoo when they were about 7 weeks old. its not difficult if you have a helper. get someone to hold the pig in their arms and apply ink to the ear and pliers then tattoo them, then rub the ink in aswell as you can into the holes.
its a messy job.

where abouts are you?
id love some middle whites.

Gaynor

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 06:16:45 pm »
I'm in North West Kent J3 M25. They're very adorable at this age - 2 weeks old. Just not looking forward to tattooing but will def enlist some help. I may have to wait til they're 6 or 7 weeks.

Thanks for the words of encouragement  :D

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 01:54:38 pm »
Hello & Welcome

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 11:20:10 pm »
You can birth notify when they are four weeks old, but there's no problem in waiting until their ears are big enough to tattoo any that you are going to register as pedigree.

I do mine just before weaning (normally 8 weeks). There is nothing stopping you advertising your pigs for sale in advance.

Only tattoo the ones you are going to register - IF any meet all the requirements of the breed standard, of course.

Is there anyone living within easy reach who might be able to show you how they tattoo their own pigs? Always easier when someone shows you.

Good luck. Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 09:59:52 am »
We have always tagged our pigs with metal tags, so I don't know anything about tatooing pigs ears.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 03:44:03 pm »
if you go on the old spot website somewhere in the forum I think theres some stuff on tattooing www.gospbc.co.uk
hth
Mandy
ps you defo need two people & old clothes, Its messy and noisy ;D

Gaynor

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 02:18:30 pm »
Thanks everyone. Going to attempt tattooing this weekend - with lots of help! Don't know anyone around here who even keeps pigs let alone who tattoos.  Sure it'll be fine. Anyone know how far a 60g tube of paste will go? I expect to be green myself by the end of the day.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS