Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yoghurt Maker - progress and problems.  (Read 4447 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Yoghurt Maker - progress and problems.
« on: March 22, 2014, 08:34:23 am »

I used to make yoghurt when I was a student, and wanted to get into it again, so I found this yoghurt maker on Amazon:

The 'progress' is that it exactly takes a 1-litre milk carton, so I've been able to make yoghurt very quickly by microwaving a full 1 litre milk carton to get it up to temperature, pouring a bit out and replacing it with yoghurt starter, then giving it a gentle shake to mix and sticking it in the machine.

This is SOOO much easier than other methods I know, with no messing about washing and sterilising.

However, the problems:  I can't get the yoghurt to go thick. The thickest I've managed so far was made with evaporated milk diluted same-again with water. When I make it with whole milk though, it's quite a bit runnier than shop bought yoghurt, though still very tasty.

Also if I try to re-use some of the previous batch for my next batch, it always comes out much runnier again (the idea was to eat nearly all of the yoghurt, then top it up with milk, give it a shake and put it back in for the next batch!).

Any ideas folks? The 1-litre carton thing is such a time saver, I'm really keen to see if I can get this to work  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Yoghurt Maker - progress and problems.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 02:13:25 pm »
What yogurt are yo using as a starter?  I always  try to use a really thick Greek type to start, because I have the same problem.  I always use full fat milk though

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 02:17:38 pm »

I'm just using Yeo Valley plain yoghurt with live cutures and full fat milk.  I'll try greek and let you know how I get on - thanks!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 02:39:05 pm »
I also use more starter than is usually suggested

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 11:23:13 am »
Just followed the link, that looks a handy bit of kit. I make yoghurt in a food flask but that looks a whole lot easier.

I put a bit of powdered milk in to thicken mine. Mix thoroughly with a bit of the milk and then stir in. Experiment with amounts , I think I settled for a tablespoon of dried milk but I forget as I'm a bit of a tilt and stir sort of cook  :roflanim:

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 11:37:01 am »
Powdered milk is the easiest option - try 2 tablespoons dried skimmed milk powder added to the milk before you heat it. I use 900ml milk then add 2 teaspoons natural live yogurt. Long-life UHT and evaporated milk make the best base.

If it's too runny when finished you can always strain it through muslin for a strained Greek yogurt type. Add what you strain off to a milkshake so there's no waste.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 11:45:28 am »
Hi Madcat,

I'm getting there, slowly! With this yoghurt maker and a 1 litre carton of whole milk, I can put a batch on in less than 5 minutes, so it's very convenient.  I've found I get better results if:

• I pour out some milk first from the 1 litre carton (otherwise the top 1/4 doesn't heat properly)
  • I pre-heat the milk jug in the microwave first (but I don't try to boil it or anything - that didn't seem to make any difference)
  • I add several spoonfuls of powdered milk, (or just use one tin of evaporated milk and one tinful of hot water)
I've also found that different starters give very different tastes.  Also quite often, the resulting yoghurt tastes better than the starter!  My favourite so far is Onken plain yoghurt BTW, but Yeo Valley also works well. The greek yoghurt was fine, but didn't seem to make any difference to the final thickness.

What I haven't really cracked yet is making second and subsequent generations - i.e. re-using my own yoghurt as the starter. These never work out quite as well as the first generation, and I'm still not sure why.

I'll try UHT next S_B_T_R, and let you know how I get on.

All other hints gratefully received!

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 10:57:43 pm »
I never managed to get a second batch to thicken up, it goes yoghurty but thin.

First ever try at making yoghurt way back in the seventies was a failure. I made it in a bowl covered it with a melamine plate put it in a warm place in the room to make. The cats  :cat: got at it and were afterwards sick . Deep joy, I do love cats :roflanim:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 04:57:48 pm »
My mother makes yoghurt and for a starter I would recommend woodlands dairy sheePs milk yoghurt, or alternitively they do a goats milk version which is nice. I will have to ask my mother for the reciPe.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS