Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bl**dy voles....  (Read 7692 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Bl**dy voles....
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 09:36:05 am »
There are owls about, keeping me awake at night with their towhit-towhoing right outside the window... and the buzzard hunts in the field, so I think that's why they've gone undercover...

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 12:23:41 pm »
You can buy statue owls for the very purpose, life size, I've seen them in fields, on one occasion I saw about 6 in the one field, like an owl conference. 

Maybe you get battery ones that screech (?) on occasions eyes moving, wings flapping.  They'll be the expensive ones  :D 
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

regen

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 06:05:13 am »
Your problem is almost certainly wood mice and not voles. They do not eat the plants -thats just collateral damage as a result of them digging them up to get at the seed cotyledons. If it was voles then they would have eaten the green material first . Once the plants are about 150mm high the mice loose interest because the cotyledons have shrivelled. Plant the seeds in pots or trays and keep them totally covered in a propagator type construction with no gaps and mesh breathers with 10mm diameter holes max.

If sowing direct to ground then I cover with 10mm weld mesh cloches held down with 5mm wire hoops and a piece of slate at each end and leave in position until the plants are about 150mm tall. Works for me every time.

Regen

captainhastings

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 03:19:57 pm »
I planted two trenches of peas a few weeks ago and nothing. But I have seen the odd shoot that has been nipped off. They were covered in debris netting but I didn't seal around the edges with soil like I normally do. I suspect mice and the culprits
We are away this week so I might get a nice surprise when we get back but doubt it. Best plant some more and try again

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 08:29:14 am »
We have mice eating our peas in the raised beds at the allotment.  We thought it was pigeons but OH found a neat wee pile of bits in a corner. Never had any bother at the last house and that was with a mouse living in the garden. 

captainhastings

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 10:28:38 pm »
I soaked my peas in paraffin for 10 seconds and resowed and this time they have emerged  :fc:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 11:36:22 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS