Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: favourite glut egg recipes for freezing  (Read 11056 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
favourite glut egg recipes for freezing
« on: March 17, 2014, 04:34:17 pm »
We only keep 8 hens and quite a few ducks but we're inundated with eggs.  I'd like to stop giving them to friends and using them to make quiches and the like for freezing for use in the months when we have less.

:yum:  What's your favourite recipe using eggs for freezing (nothing too complicated mind  ;) )?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: favourite glut egg recipes for freezing
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 05:23:03 pm »
watching closely as we have the same issue currently 30 eggs last week and we can only force the kids into eggs for tea a certain number of times before they complain...

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 06:26:00 pm »
We're getting loads of eggs too  ::)

My favourites are Spaghetti Carbonara (sp?) and meringues  :yum: - but they're not really freezable so I too am watching with interest  :thumbsup:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 06:44:23 pm »
You could try here

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=33374.0

But my favourite one is for frozen whole eggs as summertime treats for dogs!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:05:49 pm »
Thank you!  I put it in the search actually, before I posted but didn't get much, so missed all that lot!!

So here's the ones that interested me out of all the references there (save you looking them up!):

Pasta Dough
Brioche
Egg Curry
Lemon Curd
Lemon Meringue Pie
Swiss Roll
Pancakes
Quiche
Ice Cream
Tortillas
Mayonnaise
Kedgeree
Shakshuka (I'm going to google that one, don't know what it is, sounds interesting)

Should keep me busy if I can find the time  :-\  need to set aside a day or two and fill the freezer with goodies.  I liked Oor Wullies post  :roflanim:

Thanks all!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 05:45:54 pm »
Yes bit of a glut here too... seems to be earlier than usual?

Plan to make a batch (or two or three.... ;D) of sponge cake bases, then freeze separately and can knock up a cake in no-time in the middle of summer when really no time to bake...

Recipe.:

175g self-raising flour, 175g of butter (or marg if you are so inclined - we are not) and 175g of caster sugar, then three eggs, plus a teaspoon of baking powder all whizzed up and baked in lined sponge cake tins (this recipe does two tins, but I often calculate it upwards to four tins) and baked at 190deg for about 20mins.

Preparation time is usually about 5 to 10mins...

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 05:59:45 pm »
Here is a link to a page of recipe ideas I put on my site a while ago.  I was going to add links to all the recipes but never got round to doing it

http://www.darkbrowneggs.info/#/egg-recipes/4550782262

And here is a link to a page about storing surplus eggs

http://www.darkbrowneggs.info/#/surplus-eggs/4545934475

apparently up to six months in a normal fridge
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 07:18:40 pm »
Thanks dark brown and Anke, I'm going to do experiment sponging - same recipe with Muscovy eggs, same with hen eggs and same with Mallard eggs, just to see what happens.

By the way Anke, not getting much in the way of goose eggs AT ALL - just 3 so far unless one of them is laying somewhere I can't find (and believe me I've looked, about 10 times) but I have a sneaking suspicion only one of them is actually laying so far.  We have 3 newbies (2females and a male) joined our existing male and 2 females and I think it's all been a bit upsetting for them.

Still time though.....sure we'll get a few more yet.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 12:11:56 pm »
I was doing ok with 12 a day from my girls... this week they have gone into turbo mode, 16 on Monday, 20  yesterday... I daren't go out there today!  :roflanim:
Watching this thread with interest!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 10:26:14 am »
Can you freeze egg whites to make meringues later?

Hmmmh... not only are we having egg overload, our goats have gone into full production mode and I could reasonably consider bathing in milk  ::).... but maybe not, just decided to make ice cream instead

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 12:19:27 pm »
Daisy's Mum was telling me yesterday that meringues turn out better from frozen whites than they do with fresh. 

There was  a link earlier on this post where someone froze their egg whites and yolks separately (if you can be bothered) and if you do it in deep enough ice cube trays you can do it by the egg, in other words you can count the cubes out like eggs so easy for a recipe.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 09:15:05 pm »
Daisy's Mum was telling me yesterday that meringues turn out better from frozen whites than they do with fresh. 

Thank, definitely worth a try! :thumbsup:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 09:22:52 pm »
Thanks dark brown and Anke, I'm going to do experiment sponging - same recipe with Muscovy eggs, same with hen eggs and same with Mallard eggs, just to see what happens.

By the way Anke, not getting much in the way of goose eggs AT ALL - just 3 so far unless one of them is laying somewhere I can't find (and believe me I've looked, about 10 times) but I have a sneaking suspicion only one of them is actually laying so far.  We have 3 newbies (2females and a male) joined our existing male and 2 females and I think it's all been a bit upsetting for them.

Still time though.....sure we'll get a few more yet.

Geese hid their eggs extremely well.  Mine had to lay in one of two barrels, and I often could hardly find them even then,  You need to really routle around in the bedding as they will be buried really deeply
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 11:48:57 am »
I'm always worried I'll stand on a goose egg accidentally as they bury them so well.

For freezing, ice-cream uses loads of eggs so is a certain winner. Pity it's not the season for fruit and ironically ice-cream doesn't keep all that well - best eaten within a couple of weeks.

H

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 07:08:46 pm »
I didn't know that, lucky if it lasts 2 weeks in my house actually.  I don't have an ice cream maker but I'll give it a go by hand.

FINALLY, found another goose nest.  It is just a couple of meters from a previous one under a house we inherited here that's made of straw bales, it's lifted off the ground a bit - I tried squeezing myself under but my arms just fall short by about 6", so I'll have to send OH under with his longer arms.  Wonder how many is in there  :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS