Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Teeth loss  (Read 3581 times)

Bramley belle

• Joined Feb 2014
Teeth loss
« on: March 17, 2014, 10:34:35 am »
Hi can anyone shed some light, one of my Shetlands seem to be losing their teeth so far I have found 4 what look like molars, I can't pinpoint which one it is, is this normal? What reasons could there be for this ?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Teeth loss
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 11:56:51 am »
How old is she?  Sheep don't usually lose molars until they are very old, and by then they would have no teeth left at the front.  I have only seen 2 molars lost, from my very oldest ewes.
If she's youngish, then I can think of abscesses or a metabolic problem, but she will never grow those molars back.
If she's a hogg then someone else, one of the vets on here maybe, can advise as to whether young sheep replace their molars as they do their front teeth, for adult sized ones, or if they only have one set.
So it really depends on her age I think
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bramley belle

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 01:59:26 pm »
Hi haven't pinpointed which sheep yet but they age for 4 years to 18 months old, all are eating at the moment so I guess time will tell which one it is when either can't eat well or drops weight.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 02:31:11 pm »
Some breeds or bloodlines within breeds are more prone to tooth loss than others.  Loss of back teeth will impact the ability to cud, whatever the cause.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 02:43:49 pm »
Are they gaining access to anything out there which is a hard chew for example a type of bark on a tree that is particularly tough or even eating a bit of fencing?  Sorry, know it's unlikely, just a thought.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 09:46:04 pm »
sheep do change all their teeth.  If they were loosing them through disease I'm sure you would see signs such as weight loss, poor cudding, often with balls of spilt cud evident on the ground and green staining around the mouth.  Premature lose can often be linked to poor vitamin & mineral balance either as lambs or probably in utero when the tooth buds are developing.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 10:43:16 pm »
Some of our first born Gotlands worried me as they went into their second year and started losing teeth. As Farmvet says they lose them as human babies lose their milk teeth. I was very relieved  :relief: Are you sure it's just the one sheep? Maybe each tooth is from a different sheep and 18 months old seems about the right time for it to be happening.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 07:13:51 pm »
Stick them under her pillow, see how much you get  :innocent:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS