Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Working Horse Harness (Northampton)  (Read 8743 times)

Smokey the Purring Cat

• Joined Mar 2014
Working Horse Harness (Northampton)
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:26:56 am »
Hello, I Have a 15hh heavy weight cob who has been driven in the past. My husband is interested in working with him to harrow the fields. I believe that you need a draft harness with collar to do this and some sort of attachments but I have no idea where to look to find one. ( tried dragon driving, ebay and preloved but these seem to be driving harness only) Does anyone know of any old harness that would be suitable.
I am registered disabled following a horse riding accident ( mangled my leg when bucked of a horse I was looking at buying so didn't buy it!) Danny is my very steady cob and we enjoy hacking out together. My husband ( farming family) has always said he wished to try working with horses like his granddad so we are interested in having a go.
Are there any courses you can go to to find out more or even have a go at ploughing.
I used to drive a pony and trap 20 years ago but I expect working with a horse is slightly different. Keen to find out more.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Working Horse Harness (Northampton)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 08:44:36 am »
Some folks up in Carnoustie ran a Working Pony course once, and jolly good it was too  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:53:29 am »
We don't run it now for a variety of reasons.

Harness is hard to find for non-heavy horses, if you know what I mean. The States seems to sell to the UK - the Amish and similar make excellent working harness. The problem with old harness - especially a full collar - is getting good condition and a good fit.

I have a French collar for Smokey, which works like a full collar but is adjustable.

Weald and Downland Museum do working horse courses and there used tobe a bloke in Cumbria who had Fells or Dales, who did working pony courses.

Ruiridh Ormiston at Newtonmore Riding Centre is passionate about working ponies and working Highlands in particular.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:28:07 am »
there used tobe a bloke in Cumbria who had Fells or Dales, who did working pony courses.

This could've been Charlie Parker, of the Working Dales Pony Centre and Roandale stud, which used to be a couple of miles from me but which is now high up south of Middleton-in-Teesdale.  I don't think they do courses per se, but it reads as though you can get tuition.

There's also Sillywrea farm in Northumberland which uses Clydesdales - there's a lovely wee film of Teddy helping out here.  I don't know if they do courses.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Smokey the Purring Cat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 02:10:58 pm »
I loved looking at the film of the heavy horse with the cart. A few hours with a heavy horse doing that would cure even the most stressed out person. So wonderful and inspiring to see.
I found a course that is running on 7th December 2014 10-3.30pm at Weald and Downland Open Air Museum near Chichester West Sussex.
Everything appears to either be way up North or do South! Any courses in the Midlands.
Interesting about the Amish Harness I did look at those on Ebay. They look very comfortable. Hadn't really considered importing one but mat have to look at that option. I can get hold of a driving harness for him from his previous owner that will fit but it will have a breast collar. I am not sure on the differences between driving and work harness apart from the collar.
Thanks for replying

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 10:24:30 pm »
  Its well worth getting some help to break your pony to harness whether its to plough or drive.  I started my cob in the autumn and had an instructor from the british driving association to help.  Theres a list on their website and they can take you from starters with advice on starting to long rein, harness choice & fitting etc right through to competition driving.  Even if your pony is very safe you only get one chance to get it right.  The horse loggers association may be also be able to help.
  A brollar collar may be an alternative to a full collar.  ponyandcarriage.co.uk sell a wide range of harness & collars & always seem helpful & knowledgeable on the phone.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 10:46:03 pm »
Midland heavy horse association run training and events in the midlands....

Smokey the Purring Cat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 11:08:13 pm »
Hello Farmvet,
I'll have a look at the Midland Heavy Horse Association that sounds better. I have e-mailed the Shire Horse Society as well as they have a branch office at Market Harborough so I thought they may be able to source a local course.
Broller collars look interesting but are they strong enough for pulling harrows? They look comfortable.
 Danny did driving in his previous home for 3 years but it would be a good idea to get some tuition Then we'll be more confident.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 11:23:31 pm »
Hello. I'm pretty sure broller collars are/were used as standard for farm work on the continent. I dont think strength would be a problem more important to get get a comfortable fit for your pony.  A good seller should be able to advise & supply on a sale or return basis.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 10:48:38 pm »
Depending on where you are in Northamptonshire, these people are not far off the A14 http://www.waldburgshires.co.uk/ Also a visit to the Shire Horse Show is this weekend and should not be too far from you http://shirehorseshow.co.uk/show-schedule/ Lets hope its warmer in its new home as it used to be freezing at Peterborough.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 11:50:55 am »
Acton Scott Victorian farm in Shropshire have a programme of courses including working with heavy horses as well as one with a donkey. They also have an excellent harness maker, Terry Davis, come and do a harness making course which I attended last year, we didn't get as far as collar making, just made a headcollar.  Terry is based in Shropshire and would be worth speaking too, and could obviously make a collar to fit if you wished to purchase new, he has so much experience.

Smokey the Purring Cat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 10:08:28 am »
Hello,
I have measured my cob for a wide traditional work collar and he has a very big front end and shoulder. Measured with my height measuring stick and added another piece of cardboard at a right angle and followed the line of the shoulder. I have bid and won a 23" collar from ebay which I am picking up this morning, so will try it this afternoon and have a go long reining. Will see how we get on before I worry about sourcing the rest of the harness. Will give a progress report later on. Will then look at some courses if its not a total disaster. He should be ok as was professional broken in to drive and has been driving ( probably occasionally ) for the last 3 years. Nice day for messing about in the field.

Smokey the Purring Cat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 11:04:43 am »
News update,
I purchased a collar with hames of ebay but sadly it does not fit. So I have now purchased an adjustable collar from America an new one made by the Amish. I will have to pay import duty but I'm more hopeful it will fit. I have a spare set of hames to use with the collar. I have placed my small collar back on ebay. This project is appearing more complicated than I imagined.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 11:13:42 am »
Oh yes, please do update when you get the Amish collar - and post some pics too, please. 

Smokey the Purring Cat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 03:51:48 pm »
Hello The Amish Collar has arrived from the States but it is to small! This is proving to be a difficult project. I managed to re sell the  old collar I purchased from ebay and now I'll have to try to sell the brand new Amish collar. Although it is adjustable in long ways it is narrow fitting more suited to their  lighter carriage horses than a horse with a wide thick neck. Have not dared tell my husband I have now purchased to wrong sized collars. I did also purchase a job lot of harness unseen from ebay and paid to have it shipped to Northampton but its all in tatters and unreparable apart from the two head pieces and long reins. Will photograph my Amish Collar latter and post a picture as it is an interesting design and clever how it is extendable. Ruth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS