Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spring pollen gathering  (Read 2304 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Spring pollen gathering
« on: March 16, 2014, 08:17:09 pm »
Our bees from the 2 hives at the top of the field were very busy yesterday in the lovely spring weather  :thumbsup:

I think the yellow pollen is from willow and the bright orange from crocus
Really hoping I don't mess up this year and lose any swarms cos I would really really really like to be able to harvest some honey for the 1st time in 3 years!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Spring pollen gathering
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 09:02:24 pm »
Great photos! It's certainly been a good day for bees.

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 09:24:09 pm »
It was  a lovely day to get up and watch the b's working. Hopefully you will get some honey this year, the first decent harvest is always cool.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 06:05:08 pm »
Wonderful watching them fly in the spring sunshine, isn't it? ;D

I managed to waste hours of the weekend just watching them. Saw at least 4 different colours of pollen going in. There is still a little bright red stuff from the last of the snowdrops and some pale greyish pollen from the helleborus. Also a couple of shades of yellow, I think at least some from the catkins and there is quite a bit of blackthorn flowering so guessing some from that too.

Good luck for the honey harvest.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 07:32:09 pm »
This link to the Sheffield bee keepers has a great pollen recognition chart that they allow others to use , have fun with it .

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS