Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: That's the apple & pear trees PLANTED - by my in-laws!  (Read 3789 times)

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
That's the apple & pear trees PLANTED - by my in-laws!
« on: March 15, 2014, 09:33:43 pm »
This week I dug 21 holes in anticipation of the 21 trees I'd ordered, but thanks to either the nursery or the courier (depending on who I'm to believe) the trees didn't arrive the day they were due and the knock-on effect was that my in-laws plans were messed around and I wasn't able to plant anything before going into hospital on Friday.

The situation got worse when I woke up this morning to the most incapacitating knee pain I've felt since my crash, meaning I couldn't plant a single tree myself and had to ask my wife's mum & dad to do the job for me. I'm gutted because I've been planning this for months and was really looking forward to getting my first proper outdoor job done.

It's not all lost though because the nursery sold out of one pear variety and only sent me 2 of the 3 I ordered -  I'm not sure how they did this given that they had already confirmed my order so any stock should've been assigned to me, but never mind - but the missing tree means that I will have to order one from somewhere else and guy the time it arrives I should be able to plant it myself. Yay!

Anyway, I now have 20 assorted trees planted on the land that I couldn't decide how to use, and hopefully the south facing slope will be just right for some fruit.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: That's the apple & pear trees PLANTED - by my in-laws!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 10:56:57 pm »
Sounds like the perfect solution to me! But then we've spent 5 hours shifting compost and manure today and quite frankly I'd be quite happy to take advantage of the in-laws if I could! Hope your trees take well and are soon full of tons of fruit.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:58:10 am »
Couldn't be better, trees planted and you still get to one yourself.  :tree:

You should hire them out, we planted the last 14 in our orchard at the weekend and I've have paid them to do it.  :D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:59:29 am »
OH planted 13 trees this weekend, himilayan birch, silver birch and winter blooming cherry.  He planted 8 last week too and like you Dreich he injured himself (elbow) and struggled to get it finished.  Got the mini digger out though and that did the rocky bits but still hard going, staked and watered.  :relief:

All done now though, roll on spring.  :excited:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 10:13:11 am »
I still have a load of hedging to plant and I might just get another order in for some more fruit trees before the planting window closes, although it really feels like spring has sprung around here already.

I've been hankering after a mini digger but couldn't find one for sale near enough to arrange for this week. It would've been a huge help as our soil, as good as it is, is very stony. That may not be too bad for a plough, but for a form & spade... There are a couple for hire near(ish) but too expensive for a day and I can fill a week with jobs for it but can't commit until my knee if better.

If anybody knows of one for sale/cheap 1 month loan within about 30 miles of Edzell I'd be keen to hear.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 02:08:10 pm »
For a south facing stony (well drained) slope how about planting a few vines? Nothing like a glass or three of home produced plonk for oiling the joints!

Helen

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 02:17:01 pm »
OH got his from gumtree Dreich, think it was about £1300 but like you, we have a lot of stony ground, lots of bedrock etc, it's been well used.  He'd like a slightly more useful JCB but too much £.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 08:23:54 pm »
I'd thought about that Helen but we get a bit to much frost and we have a hill across the way that blocks the sun on that area through the winter. I'm thinking about planting between the apple & pear so I might try a bit of trellising.

£1,300 for a mini digger? I'd jump at that! Best I've seen is more like £4,000.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 08:50:14 pm »
just asked him when I read that Dreich - he says £4,500 - sorry  ::)   :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS