Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just been to spinning class  (Read 19731 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Just been to spinning class
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2014, 12:55:31 pm »

I wrap my skeins in a big towel then squeeze it for a while against my pinny, turning it round as I go.  I don't walk on it - takes me ages to spin a big skein so trampling on it seems disrespectful  ::)  Same with hanging it on the line - too windy to be sure it wouldn't blow away.

I then spread it out on one of my flat jumper dryers which I perch on top of an airer in the boiler room.  I too find the skeins don't take long to dry, although it varies a bit with the fleece type and how tightly spun it is.

I never weight skeins as I feel it takes the spring out of the yarn, but I do snap it as SallyiN does.  :spin:  :knit:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2014, 02:25:06 pm »
OK - going to wash it now.  Do you use just hot water (already washed fleece in hand hot) or would you add some kind of detergent.   (I was thinking some Ecover delicate)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2014, 05:35:00 pm »
Personally I usually wash hot with a bit of Ecover; if there was any grease left in the fleece as I span, then very very hot with plenty of Ecover to get the last of the grease out.  (Unless I'm leaving it in for waterproofing.)

But if it's very clean and you just want to set the twist, then it doesn't need a huge amount of heat.  I'd still use a little soap though - I've been experimenting with rejuvenating fibre with a wash, and a bit of heat and a bit of soap do both seem to be required.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2014, 05:57:09 pm »
Brilliant!  My other half now completely thinks I have lost the plot!  ;D   Spinning wool is bad enough, but spinning it in a salad spinner?

It really worked well and is now drying on my airer.  I may even start knitting...

Thanks for all the help and encouragement all! 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2014, 07:02:05 pm »
I have a rather nifty salad spinner, I do not use it to spin salad ;)

I was telling one of my friends I'd bought a big pasta pot from Tesco's.  (Shhh!  I don't go in Tecso's!)  She was very surprised  :o, saying she had never used a pasta pot and was amazed that I felt the need of such a thing to cook pasta.

"It's not to cook pasta!" , I replied, rather scathingly, perhaps.  "Have you seen the size of the steamer section?!  I can get hundreds of grammes of fibre in there!!!!"   ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2014, 08:53:08 pm »
I put wet washed skeins or fleece into a pillowcase and tie it up tight then put it into the wash machine on spin only cycle. After that it gets hung somewhere to finish drying.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS