Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: crush for Shetlands advice please  (Read 6875 times)

Maggy

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
crush for Shetlands advice please
« on: March 11, 2014, 09:55:58 am »
I know that most people with Shetlands manage perfectly well without a crush but, after much deliberation & after using gates successfully for a while, I have finally decided to get one - to make life easier/safer (but mostly to give my OH peace of mind when he is working away and leaving me to my own devices!).  Does anyone at all use a crush for Shetlands? and if so what sort?  They all seem so huge!  Does anybody know if the IAE Dexter crush would be OK?

It all seems to be such a huge outlay to get it wrong!  Any advice gratefully received.........

Croftess

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Shetland
    • www.thecreativecroft.co.uk
Re: crush for Shetlands advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 04:32:41 pm »
When our cow needed her hooves trimming the vet wouldn't do it unless we walked her to a neighbour's crush - she didn't like it. The crush didn't seem that large so maybe it was calf size? Can't help re the Dexter I'm afraid.
Shetland sheep, poultry, dogs, cats, budgies - have kept Shetland cattle, geese, ducks, turkeys - really want goats

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 08:33:08 pm »
You do get crushes of different sizes - not so much age-related I don't think, more to do with breed or even just the manufacturer's specifications. Unfortunately you can't take your cows to the shop and try crushes on  :roflanim:

Though I have to say they are a very useful investment, and not just for when the vet comes. They make everything easier if you need to do checks, give medicines, drenches, TB testing etc, and if you can lift their feet you have lots of worries out of your mind too.
I am sure you can buy second hand crushes, and also that there may be grants to buy handling facilities. Our practice is writing letters for many clients to help them getting these grants and I think there's one big deadline soon - best ask if your vets know anything about it and if they do, apply for one of those. 

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 11:05:15 pm »
There are a lot of crushes lying rusting on farms because they're too small for modern beef cows, but would be perfect for shetlands.  maybe try an ad at your local livestock mart.
Another option that works well if you've not too many cattle is a "calving gate" , this is a gate with a yoke in it & then hinges back round to secure the cow.  Most have removeable sections in the bars to allow eg sucking calves, caesars etc.  The are easy to move around & can be quickly set up anywhere.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 07:42:09 am »
If the CAP reforms in Scotland go ahead as they are in the consultation, there will be grants available to smallholders with betwen 3ha and 50ha (I think) for handling equipment. Proposal is up to 60%

Our hoof trimmer brings his own but Annie was a bit small for the belly strap. He was also worried about the horns but since they aren't very long, it wasn't a problem.

The calving gate sounds like just the job.

Maggy

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 09:15:16 am »
Thanks for the tip off re calving gates.  they look ideal- multifunctional too- so I think that's the way I'm heading. 

Cheers.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 11:56:47 am »
Calving gates with quick release - www.tullyforge.ie

This looks great - it's not dissimilar to our homemade crush / gate except we don't have a yoke - we just tie them on a halter.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 08:59:42 pm »
they look good.
how good is it for one that is protesting at being confined? do the yokes keep them in?

rosemary - is your bull halter-trained too?

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 11:49:14 pm »
yes the yoke is very secure.  I've seen one brought cheap from a travelling salesman that bent with a quiet cow so check out your supplier! good ones will even hold angry limmys for caesars as long as the gates secured to something solid so they cant walk off with the whole pen! a strategically parked tractor or bale usually does the job.  for most cattle just a gate at right angles is fine

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 06:53:24 am »
I have exactly the same issue .... I thought calving gate was a great solution .... but almost the price of new cheap end crush and has a huge frame so needs a large barn or concrete area to locate it ... think
I'm back to searching for 2nd hand crush ...... but then I have to find a way to move it  :thinking:   halter and gate for now!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

shoveller

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 08:54:10 am »
I know that most people with Shetlands manage perfectly well without a crush but,

Is this really the case? 
(Just interested and asking as I do not have Shetland cattle, mine are a bit bigger. )

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 10:47:37 am »
it would depend on how much time you spend taming them as youngsters or whether you have a bull.
the more you have the less likely you will have time to tame them, is there much point with cattle destined for slaughter? our cows are halter trained but not the young bullocks, and neither the bull.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 07:17:06 pm »
rosemary - is your bull halter-trained too?

Regretably no. He's good to load though and  :fc: that he doesn't need anything done between now and September when it's  :wave:

I think you have to start when they are very young - at least handling them. He'd never been handled when I bought him at 6 months.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 10:47:39 pm »
have a look at Ritchie agriculture . gate 3m by 2m height weight 115kg. £442   This doesn't need a concrete area etc just pin it to other gates either as a race or square pen.   

F.CUTHBERT

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 10:53:37 pm »
You can some times pick up a cheap older style one at a farm sale or on fleabay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cattle-crush-/141221592826?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item20e1767efa

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS