Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finally tried my prosciutto  (Read 2972 times)

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
Finally tried my prosciutto
« on: March 08, 2014, 07:04:05 pm »
I started about curing and drying my own prosciutto in October last year. Despite people telling me I was mad and I should just roast the leg of pork it actually turned out really well  :thumbsup:

I have attached a photo and there is more information on my blog here:

http://myovercrowdedgarden.blogspot.com/2013/10/elderberry-wine-and-prosciutto.html
http://myovercrowdedgarden.blogspot.com/2014/03/prosciutto-tasting.html

I would really recommend anyone keeping pigs to give this a go. It's not as difficult as it seems, and it tastes great.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Finally tried my prosciutto
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 07:09:05 pm »
Fantastic. Well done :-) How did it taste?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 07:16:16 pm »
It was lovely. When I first tasted it after slicing I liked it but was a little underwhelmed. Maybe because I had been waiting 5 months and it couldnt live up to my expectations. But once I cooked with it, it was well worth the wait. I wrapped chicken thighs in it and put them in the oven. There was a really rich, meaty, salty flavour all through the chicken. And when I used the juices from it to make a sauce it was brilliant. When it is cooked the fat melts and really adds a richness to whatever its with. I also made a "pork wellington" basically a beef wellington but with a pork tenderloin wrapped in the prosciutto instead of fillet steak. Again the richness it adds was amazing. Even the family have been convinced and thats saying something because they all thought I was mad to even to try hanging pork for 5 months and eating it  ;D

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 08:04:55 pm »
It looks lovely and is very pink.  Did you use saltpetre? 

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 08:12:36 pm »
No I didn't use any. I just used a mixture of table salt and rock salt. The recipe I had didn't call for any. In the same book it is used for other recipes but mostly for sausages and salamis. I think it is to do with a sausage being a more suitable location for bacteria to grow. I had looked at getting some but its a controlled substance here and I need to prove why I need it and have to go to the police station to get a letter before I can even buy any. I have seen it for sale in small amounts on amazon but wonder would it get intercepted if I ordered some.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 09:48:28 pm »
Interesting!  I never use saltpetre but my prosciutto never looks as pink as that - looks lovely!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 07:46:55 pm »
No I didn't use any. I just used a mixture of table salt and rock salt. The recipe I had didn't call for any. In the same book it is used for other recipes but mostly for sausages and salamis. I think it is to do with a sausage being a more suitable location for bacteria to grow. I had looked at getting some but its a controlled substance here and I need to prove why I need it and have to go to the police station to get a letter before I can even buy any. I have seen it for sale in small amounts on amazon but wonder would it get intercepted if I ordered some.

Frosty & others interested ,
Weschenfelder .co.uk   

They sell various premade cures etc & all manner of helpful pre packed salted skins & devices .. perhaps having the nitrate mixed in with the salt is enough to avoid the restrictions.
After all we can make nitrate by boiling human and animal pee but the smell is awful and might just give the explosives game away for miles and  miles around unless it's boiled off under vacuum .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 10:22:43 pm »
Thanks for that link. I will give them a try. They mention shipping to Ireland. Probably a little easier than boiling up buckets of pee anyway  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS