Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What sort of weight would you expect toggenburg x AN kids to be at 8 weeks?  (Read 1867 times)

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
I cant find the info either searching here or on google. Could someone put me in the right direction?
Thrift Bee

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Hi Thrift Bee, sorry no one has come back to you- the simple answer is I'm not sure. We don't generally weigh them much- no weigh crate. I would guess at maybe around 10 -15 kgs, but it is just a guess, thinking about what our kids feel like. Also, our kids are generally always either pure AN or BT types only, not a mix of the two. It will also depend on if they are boys or girls, castrated or not?

Beth

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
Thanks Beth,

I'm sure i read a guide somewhere but cant remember.  Bramble (girl) is just under 12kg and Buster (castrated boy obvs) is 17kg, so they are about what you guessed. Just wanted to gauge how they were doing because Mum doesn't let them suckle for long these days.

Thanks for replying, hope the post help the next person with a similar question.
Thrift Bee

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
They will still be weaning themselves off mum  and more onto her hardfeed now , they will still go to her for a reassuring suck when they are uncertain about the big world, or just for a top-up drink. sounds like they are doing just fine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS