Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Magpie dilemma  (Read 9589 times)

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Magpie dilemma
« on: February 28, 2014, 04:21:38 pm »
Came home today to find that my father-in-law had installed a Larsen trap in the garden with a live magpie in it. My wife was horrified and very upset. On researching the subject, the predation of songbirds by magpies is not that prevalent so I'm not sure whether they need to be controlled in this manner. I'm vehemently opposed to keeping birds caged up anyway - should we let it out?
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Magpie dilemma
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 04:38:30 pm »
He needs a license for it and the officials will inspect it regularly to ensure it is kept out of draughts, fed and watered.  Does he know that?  If not, I'd tell him then let it go - I don't like them either but I know a lot of my shooting friends use them, and they are controlled.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 04:49:13 pm »
I think it's under the general licence. I'm inclined to get rid of it

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 05:11:06 pm »
Magpies do predate upon the nests of small birds.  We don't have many magpies here but this morning I noticed a pair.  Last time we had them they ate all the baby wagtails as they hatched, from several nests, and ripped down any swallows nests within reach.  For that I don't like them and I dread their arrival, but they are smart in both senses - clever and good to look at.  I wouldn't kill one or keep it in a trap.
I assume the point of the larsen trap is to lure in more magpies and kill them, so it's also their fate your wife will be upset about - I would be too.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Toe

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 05:29:38 pm »
I witnessed a magpie trash a goldfinch nest last year and fly off with the fledglings in turn...  :'( Very sad!

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 05:36:23 pm »
It's not as if magpies are new - they've been killing other birds for millennia - it's the natural order of things. I'd rather give the songbirds better cover rather than kill all the magpies

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 06:49:54 pm »
I know several farmers that use them up here. One said that he had caught 40 in a few weeks.

Watched a magpie attacking and stealing the eggs from under one of my hens last year .... she was sat under the hedge.

Farmer says that some years there seem to be very high numbers. He disliked them as they took all the baby swallows etc.

Personally I don't like the idea of these traps at all. Can you shoot if you need to control numbers?

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 06:58:38 pm »
Have any of the sheepy types on here had lambs attacked by magpies?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 08:19:24 pm »
We have Soay .... small primitives .... but no trouble from magpies so far.

Never heard neighbouring sheep farmers complain of trouble from magpies .... only ravens and crows.

F.CUTHBERT

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 08:20:01 pm »
If it is in your garden and you don't like it ask your father in law to remove it. If it is in his garden leave it alone he isn't doing anything wrong as long as the call bird is fed watered and has shelter.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 10:13:24 pm »
You need a special licence for a Larsen Trap, etch one is given a number, and I think they can be randomly inspected
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 10:21:10 pm »
You need a special licence for a Larsen Trap, etch one is given a number, and I think they can be randomly inspected

Don't think that's true but would be willing to learn otherwise

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/wml-gl06_tcm6-24151.pdf
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:26:46 pm by spandit »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 07:53:06 am »
It's very nearly true, but for clarification:

You need a general license (which in effect everybody already has). However, you do have to register the trap with the police and get a number for it. You then put a notice on it that says something like "this is a legal trap, license number #12345. If you suspect it is being used illegally, please contact....." (the text to use is on the BASC website). You also have certain obligations to adhere to, such as the size of trap, and must ensure the call bird has food and water at all times, and is checked I think twice daily.

The police can come and inspect, but in reality they have bigger fish to fry unless they receive a complaint. (The best way to avoid this of course is to keep the trap out of view of passers by, and to make sure you absolutely obey all the rules).

Now, having said all that, I haven't used our trap for a couple of years now (it was only ever a last resort). We had a major problem with magpies when we moved in here, but having reduced the excess of population, everything seems ok just now, and there are definitely more of the wee birds about.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 08:00:54 am »
Thats very good information Womble & makes a lot of sense to abide by it.

The magpies rule the skies on our allotments  - sometimes 20 or more can be seen flying about.  I am sure they are responsible for some crop damage - its not only the pigeons.

There are hardly any other birds about ( except crows and pigeons)

Lovely birds but a flippin nuisance.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 08:44:26 am »
how bizarre.
I don't think iv understood this properly - is he using a live magpie to catch other magpies? if so do they eat etc under stress of confinement?

personally I like to see them as they are beautiful, we have a bend in our drive that we call magpie corner as that's where we see them. its next to our neighbours sheep but iv never known of any trouble.

in Australia I was attacked by a nesting magpie, they are huge there with huge beaks and he/she bit my nose and ffs it really really hurt. the council took him away to rerelease(?) as he/she went for any humans that walked near the nest
never had a magpie come close to me in the uk though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS