Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First pigs arriving this weekend  (Read 5217 times)

rorsa

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Rainford, Merseyside
First pigs arriving this weekend
« on: April 01, 2008, 12:53:39 pm »
My first pigs are coming this weekend - a GOS, a British Saddleback and a Large Black. I had hoped to collect them in an old horse trailer but this plan has now fallen through. It now looks like I will be using the my wife's car with the seats down. Anyone got any tips for keeping me from trouble when I return the car i.e how to stop them making a mess of it. I know that a dog carrier is ideal but I don't have one.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: First pigs arriving this weekend
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 12:55:34 pm »
Do you have a dog guard?  Stops them sitting on the front seat with you.  Put plenty of straw in the back they will probably fall asleep within minute of starting journey.  Take air freshener.  Take some apples cut into small pieces to throw into the straw should you need to stop for any reason, keeps them in the back.

It will be easy, drive carefully and enjoy.  HM

nellie

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Mont St Michel France
    • Vacation Normandy
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 01:00:26 pm »
Anyone got any tips for keeping me from trouble when I return the car i.e how to stop them making a mess of it.

have you asked your wife first ?;D

we quite often transport small pigs in the back of our landrover

a pet carrier is ideal but if not  I would suggest  plastic then cardboard then straw

you may wish to drive will your window open too! :D

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 01:42:22 pm »
We use the back of our Berlingo for allsort - goats, pigs. sheep, turkeys! If you saw it you would know as well - looking for a good valleting service at the moment!

Getting to the point - we found a framed mesh on the tip acutally - a part of a large fire guard I think, and John bent to 45 degree angle and it is perfect to shut them off from the back seat.  They have one half underneath them if you follow, which they stand on and we cover of course.  The animals hold it in place with their own weight and it works a treat.  If you had or could make something similar utilising something you have a got -a bit of fencing with a wood surround, and old fire guard as I said, anything like that. It is a cheap and useful option, with a bit of recylcing thrown in which will make RUSS APPLAUD!

I do try Russ!

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

rustyme

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 01:59:14 pm »
 http://www.pacdv.com/sounds/people_sound_effects/applause-2.wav

:D ;D ;D ;) well done Kate..... necessity is the mother of invention as they say.... funny thing is where I live the gate used to keep my dogs in the yard is an old fire guard !!! ;D  ....Russ
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 02:05:20 pm by rustyme »

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 02:00:38 pm »
Good luck with the transport, the last larger pig we moved- Tamworth female, started in the boot area, fresh straw, feed hidden in the straw, within 5 minutes she had decided to climb onto the back seat, look out of the window, and when me and Barry stopped talking she stuck her head between the front seats and began snorting very loudly. Quite bizarre experience.

Wonder what people thought as we drove through the villages, it was a busy day- day of voting!!!!!

Still finding bits of the presents she left behind- and I`ve even taken the seats out to clean.

Carole

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 08:04:54 am »
Carole you have yet to have the experience of explaining to a confused French gendarme that the large red animal sitting with his head between you, the driver, and your passenger, and chatting profusely the whole time, is not a new breed of dog but your prized boar going on to his latest rendez vous. 

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 12:19:11 pm »
i think i shall use that "applause " whenever i have managed to do something and still need a bit of a boost !!!!!
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS