Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making pork sausages.  (Read 2476 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Making pork sausages.
« on: February 24, 2014, 06:48:51 am »
I've finally got my ancient tin plated cast iron Empire size 22 hand mincer sorted with stainless steel plates & cutting knife & stuffers .

I'm already to go at making proper Lincolnshire sausages as near as I can get to those my parents made herby not too peppery but deffo .. " Can I have some more and some of the knife & fork gravy please " ,sort of sausages.

When I return home in a couple of days I hope to get started by making my own rusk ..
 Back int eh 1940's 50's mum & dad used traditional bakers oven  baked stale crumbed bread , gave it a toast in the coal fired range oven to lightly brown it a tad and to kill off any yeasts remaining . Modern steam cooked infra red browned bread is not much cop .

Once the rusk is done crumbed and stored in sealed bags I'll turn my attention to
 several Kg of pork shoulders in the freezer .

Question One folks .
 Do I need to remove the crackling /skin before I mince it up ?

Question two .
I also want to make some smoked salami which my recipes suggests me using a fairly fat free joint of pork ( I can do that ) & some cured smoked fat in 1/2 inch chunks un minced mixed in with the minced meat . ( I have my own brick built smoker & understand about smoking & curing )
 Does any one know what cut of the pig I'll need to ask for that has the thick fat suitable for this purpose?
I seem to remember you could buy something in Germany called " KNACKEN " ( might be the wrong name )  which was a cured & smoked 3 inch thick slab of fat shot with tiny streaks of meat possibly somewhere from the pigs belly .

Any suggestions or hints on the sausage making for you experts out there are most welcome

Thanks
Dave

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

ArosP

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: Making pork sausages.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 08:43:38 am »
I have never put skin in sausages
Ypu need the thick back fat off the outside off piggie, it has a different texture than inside fat
What you descibe sounds like pork belly or cheek ( called Guanciale?) I am very tempted to have a go at making that

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Making pork sausages.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:56:23 am »
Yep.  As above.  If you hand cut the back fat, you certainly understand the difference (and it is worth doing just to understand it!). I am pretty sure that if you tried putting skin through the mincer, it would complain too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS