Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meet Cherry :)  (Read 7294 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Meet Cherry :)
« on: February 23, 2014, 03:15:59 pm »
At last!  Finally I have a Red Devon x Jersey heifer.  I know it's a long way to her first lactation - but finally I am on the journey :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Meet Cherry :)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 04:00:24 pm »
Congratulations, she is beautiful, lovely time of year with the spring and summer on the horizon hopefully!the months and next couple of years will fly by.  Best wishes to you and yours including Cherry

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 04:24:21 pm »
Any reason for the name "Cherry"? Thinking back to "Two's plenty"  ;D

She's just beautiful - I think she'll be a stunner when she's grown.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 04:35:21 pm »
Rosemary, she's the Cherry on Top  :excited:

Plus she's cherry red, a jolly good sucker (groan) and a cheery little person.

And yes, I think she will be very striking.  She's a friendly wee soul too  ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 04:48:35 pm »
Rosemary, she's the Cherry on Top  :excited:

Plus she's cherry red, a jolly good sucker (groan) and a cheery little person.

And yes, I think she will be very striking.  She's a friendly wee soul too  ;D

Love it  ;D

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 05:10:52 pm »
She looks gorgeous ! You and her mum must be very proud of her!

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 05:16:05 pm »
She is beautiful - lovely colour, great name.

Got any pics of the sire?

Sue

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 05:18:20 pm »
Congratulations, Sally. She is gorgeous  :love:  :love:  :love:
Love the idea behind her name  :D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 05:24:20 pm »
I love the colour!

What's so special about this cross? Good house cow? (I am almost totally ignorant about cows/cattle...)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 07:25:56 pm »
I love the colour!

What's so special about this cross? Good house cow? (I am almost totally ignorant about cows/cattle...)

I have a bee in my bonnet about this cross being a superb house cow, yes.  The Red Devon used to be triple purpose - meat milk work - but in recent decades has been more and more a beef only animal.  Still a milky suckler though, and a laid-back temperament.  A good do-er, very hardy. 

I think there's no doubt she'll be a grand addition to the suckler herd - in fact BH is rather annoyed that she'll be in my herd not his!   :D   I think that with a more beefy conformation, and a bit hardier than the straight Jersey, not quite such high performance, she could be an easy-to-manage smallholder / house cow.  And good for crossing for a beef calf of course.  (Yes, I know - they could just get a Shetland!  Probably right there, but I have wanted one of these for ever. :))

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 07:27:43 pm »
Got any pics of the sire?

Dad

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)  At the time of writing, her dad is the top bull on this page
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:36:20 pm by SallyintNorth »

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 07:59:52 pm »
She is gorgeous Sally  :thumbsup: and I love the name
Graham

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 08:04:37 pm »
Like it - the pic of Atlas is nice - a good straight back and a lovely bully hump and that great curly bit on the face.

As a Shetland breeder - another multi purpose breed  -  I can see where you're going here.

One of the commercial cattle breeders here has admired our Shetland cows milkiness and wonderfully broad pelvises. He wondered if we wanted to cross with a commercial bull to breed good suckler replacement heifer which would probably make good money at the mart.

At the moment we're sticking with pure bred - we can get a reasonable price for the beef - but making the heifers more acceptable to the wider market could tempt us in the future.

Good luck with your 'house cow' project - it's great to follow your dreams.

Sue

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 10:10:01 pm »
Thank you everyone  :hug:

Sue, as I understand it the Shetland is such a fab crosser that that's how come they nearly lost the breed!  So for the moment, the breed soc is very much against crossing for breeding.  Which is completely understandable while numbers are so low - but hopefully the breed will recover to such a point that using them to produce good crossbreed suckler cows is again on the agenda  :fc:.

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 08:27:56 am »
She's beautiful !!  :)
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS