Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on pork to use for curing.  (Read 2250 times)

KevinH

• Joined May 2013
  • Bronygarth, Oswestry, Shropshire
Advice on pork to use for curing.
« on: February 22, 2014, 09:37:02 am »
Hi,

I am looking for advice on using a frozen joint of pork for dry curing and then cold smoking. I have plenty of joints in my freezer from a pig I fattened and then slaughtered last year. What I propose to do is to thaw a suitable piece and then follow the steps for curing and then cold smoking.

I appreciate that it is probably best to use fresh pork, but since I am new to curing and smoking, I thought I would do a trial using the frozen stuff first. I wont be refreezing after the process as I assume that is a health 'no no'.

Can anyone advise me if my idea is ok as I intend to make some smoked bacon for consuming immediately.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Advice on pork to use for curing.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 10:28:49 am »
Absolutely fine to use frozen pork.  i frequently do, as there is never enough time when the pigs go to slaughter.  Curing, and certainly hot smoking (not sure about cold) act as a cooking process too, so you can refreeze the end result. 

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Advice on pork to use for curing.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 06:55:57 am »
Use pork belly , back or  leg ..

I think you might need to have a read up on it if there is a bone in it possibly injecting a saline solution close to the bone as bone decays quickly .
The saline solution should prevent this as in dry curing a leg of pork if your air drying it  .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS