Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying a croft  (Read 7151 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Buying a croft
« on: February 22, 2014, 08:29:15 am »
when an advert for a croft purchase says the CC need to approve you - what does it actually mean?
is it that you will farm the land? or do need to have a business plan? or do you need to be committed to maintaining the shared grazing? do you need to be scottish?
what responsibilities do you have for the shared land? - do you have to control the weeds or maintain any fencing etc?

and if you actually buy the land rather than tenancy - does it pass down to your children through inheritance?

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: Buying a croft
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 10:46:20 am »
Not strictly true, you dont need consent from CC but you need to notify them of change of ownership etc and you dont need to be Scottish....lol consent is required if you are re-assigning your croft if you are a tenant not the owner
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=crofting%20commission%20approval&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CEEQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.crofterscommission.co.uk%2Fuserfiles%2Fdocuments%2FBecoming%2520a%2520Crofter.doc&ei=Vs8JU4zyKeWg7AbY54HQDg&usg=AFQjCNFP_B7jUTCHlFnufMcx-r9yXVfuVA&sig2=3AsPh_4bJQveljypJDGd5w&bvm=bv.61725948,d.ZGU
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 06:34:47 pm »
Hi shygirl,
Pretty much as feisty has said. When I purchased my croft the CC did not have to approve me but you must register the new ownership with them. Apparently it's a criminal? Offence not to!
The expectation and indeed obligation is to tend the croft and use it. Sadly many don't and whilst the CC have a renewed commitment to deal with owners of neglected crofts I think that's a long and slow process to go through.
Owned crofts are certainly heritable, my kids would be most upset if they were not. I'm not so sure about tenented  though.
Lots of people run a mile from taking on a croft because of the obligation but I am of the opinion that if you want to live in Scotland and follow the smallholding lifestyle they are a great option. Prices are still quite reasonable and you have a real feeling of history and belonging being a crofter.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:30:23 pm »
Incidentally I have just finished a book called the spade among the rushes by Margaret Leigh which you might like to read? Granted its post WW2 crofting but not that much has changed TBH we have a 1930's tractor and drag plough  :innocent:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 09:10:31 am »
you have a real feeling of history and belonging being a crofter.

:thumbsup: Love that.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS