Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our 1st ebay hatched chicks 2 weeks old  (Read 10437 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Our 1st ebay hatched chicks 2 weeks old
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 03:41:26 pm »
Anyone think temperature makes a difference? We did really well on the ratio through the warmer months but our last hatch were 19 boys to 5 girls, the best of which keeled over and died! It was colder when they hatched. The other difference is the last batch were done under broodies. We didn't really plan it but had so many broodies, I quickly knocked up a load of broody coops and we got some eggs for them. It was lovely to watch them raise the chicks but way too many boys, especially as they were mainly leghorns and legbars.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 05:46:24 pm »
Ebay you say? You do realise they're going to be man eating dinosaurs  :tired: .  We've had mixed success from ebay, great ducks, hen eggs - hmm not the ones we ordered.  Yours look good though and well done on a first hatch. 

I've never had much success with chick crumbs and the like, wholemeal (must be not white or 50/50) mashed to a pulp in milk went down much better and gives them the protein they need and you can gradually reduce the milk and add grain after a week or two.  Cheapo Asda 50p wholemeal is best, really rough wholemeal, make sure it's really pulpy though so they can't choke on any bits, no crusts or big bits.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 04:29:21 pm »
Man eating dinosaurs? as long as they lay something I don't mind although not looking overly promising  ;)

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated.

So photo attached...still think Ive got 5 cockerels and 1 hen...what do you think?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:32:38 pm by NicandChic »

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 05:59:42 pm »
Bottom right is a vulture mees thinks.

You think they're all hens and you've been super lucky, then one week when they are about 7 weeks old it happens and they turn into big bad cockerels.

And just to cheer you up - did you know that very occasionally (now this IS true) that a hen lives a long and happy life as a hen and then she can turn into a cockerel?  I'm not kidding.

We did the hatching thing a few times but it saddened me to see all these lovely young boys having to be dispatched.  Now we just buy hens and leave the dispatching to the breeder.  RSPCA website is full of cockerels people just can't bring themselves to dispatch.  You can sell them by housing them all in one crate at an auction but I'm not sure what fate befalls them after that, I like to think they end up in a pie but I fear cockerel fighting may befall some, hope not.  :fc:

Sorry I'm not usually this morose.  ::)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 06:39:11 pm »
Vulture?!?...that vulture is my beautiful Zulu  :P  ;)

I'm going to be buying shares in Nandos sauce  :-\

I don't really mind it was to be expected, like yourself goosepimple I think next time I might just buy some, could go for young still on heat chicks as I've got the lamp & stuff now.

Frodo the hen's gunna need some more friends if indeed I'm right & have 5 boys ugh!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 08:09:28 pm »
Well you might as well be optimistic and sorry I hope I didn't put you on a downer there!  You may get lucky!  All the best  :fc:

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 01:48:36 pm »
Week 5 in the wee chook hoose, enjoying their first taste of sunshine  :sunshine:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 02:03:17 pm »
They look very healthy little birds NicandChic. I searched back through the thread to see what breeds you had bought because my first thought from the photo was they were all Wyandotte cockerels. I also see you were going to eat them, which is what we did with most of ours. At 5 weeks the combs on the pullets were almost invisible. Unlike our Orpingtons, we didn't get many late surprises of pullets becoming cockerels. The first was very obvious at 8 weeks because he was crowing. Then he went quiet, because there was a more dominant cockerel in with him who started crowing at 10 weeks.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 03:30:24 pm »
Thank you, they are my first chickens so learning lots, from what I've read (and youve confirmed) how they look/ behave I'm sure 5 are cockerels, suspected hen looks very different, smaller, head is lower, and as you said comb is barely visible.

I will try & sell / sensibly home the cockerels first, failing that I'd quite like to try dispatching myself (keeping one, how I will decide who I've no idea)  :-J

Does mean I'm going to have to look for a couple more hens, will start my search shortly for some girls around the same age, hopefully easier to bond when still young?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 09:12:20 am »
Well there has been plenty of discussion in the past about despatching NicandChic -just don't shoot yourself in the finger like I did!

Cockerels with hens is only worthwhile if you are going to breed in my opinion. Otherwise the downsides far outweigh any upsides, unless you are truly free ranging (without boundaries) in which case a cockerel is needed to keep them together and safe. Gordon, the neighbouring Black Gascone cockerel, spends a lot of time rounding up his 5 hens here. The area he covers is about 3 acres. He is running back and forwards all day. Problem is the strays out in the open could be hit by Buzzards -we had 9 circling us yesterday. Young cockerels can be very rough with the pullets and we have had to separate one of ours because of the damage to his girls.

We have an ex-Wyandotte breeder near us (which is of no use to you whatsoever) as they are a French kept breed as well. So when our Blue Laced Cock died we only had a 20 mile drive for his replacement -the only one advertised in France at the time apparently. She is packing up to concentrate on Orpingtons and rabbits. You could try the Laced Wyandotte Club, which we used to belong to, for a reputable breeder near you. Collette Roberts was the secretary 01691 780245, an email address of 'thelaced.wyandotteclub@yahoo.co.uk' is on the letterheads.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 10:46:02 am »
That's great thank you.
They will be free ranging no boundaries, just in at night hopefully, same as the ducks, so keeping a cockerel sounds sensible. That's them just over 5 weeks & they have started eating sooooo much  :)

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 07:16:00 pm »
The chooks  :love:

And the cat who thinks she's a dog/chicken/rabbit  :-J

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 08:10:53 pm »
They have grown well - what are your thoughts about how many cockerels now?  still thinking 5 and one hen?

That white odd one out looks like a light sussex ?
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 08:39:51 pm »
Pretty sure it's 5 cockerels & 1 hen.

Funny you should say that Q I've been googling wondering what he was - he's head honcho, everyone else follows him, he's first into everything & will feed from my hand.
I was thinking light Sussex (is that good?) or Columbian Wyandotte (not sure that's possible?) either way I think he may be staying!

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2014, 07:33:26 am »
I have switched to light sussex because they lay better. Not sure your one will be laying much.  :roflanim:

Our hatch was a week or so after yours & we have have 4 cockerels and 4 hens ( i think).
I also have some welsummers in the incubator at the moment because I like the darker brown egg colour.

My experience of LS cockerels isnt so good - we have one from last years hatch and he is a bit vicious. He also doesnt treat his girls so gently as the buff orpington cockerel we had before.  He was so gentle & very calm. 

It will be interesting to see if your LS cockerel has a nice temperament.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS