Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I microwave chicken in the box it came in?  (Read 3710 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Can I microwave chicken in the box it came in?
« on: February 06, 2014, 04:03:30 pm »
As you all may know I am new to microwaving..   I bought Phoebe some chicken legs from Asda which came in a plastic box with clear clinglfilmy type top.  If I put some holes in the top can I just microwave as is on a plastic plate?  And how long for?
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Can I microwave chicken in the box it came in?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 04:12:05 pm »
Depends how flimsy the plastic is.  If it is too flimsy it will just melt.  i would put the chicken on a plate, then cover it with cling film, pierce it and cook.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 05:00:45 pm »
She can have them raw but once you cook them you will have to pick the bones out!

Agreed re not using wrapping - only veges usually come in  a bag suitable for microwaving unless it specifically says so.  All sorts of nasties in some plastics.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 05:06:30 pm »
Oh - so when I buy say sugar snap peas and sweetcorn and they come in a box I can microwave them in that?
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 05:40:30 pm »
Oh - so when I buy say sugar snap peas and sweetcorn and they come in a box I can microwave them in that?
Only if it says so on the bag!  Some of the plastic vegs come in is 'crispy' and is suitable for microwaving - others are not - but if it is suitable it will say so. 

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 06:12:05 pm »
microwaving chicken is rather dodgy as the microwave may not cook it thoroughly with hot spots and raw spots. i havent cooked chicken like this in a microwave but id imagine you would have to get the right power and check it before eating. if its for the dog then its not so bad. but i wouldnt leave it in the plastic packaging and rmember their is a plastic/cardboard sheet inside the box too. iv defrosted mince and found the plastic box tends to melt.

cooked sweetcorn can be heated up in a bowl but uncooked sweetcorn and uncooked mangetout need either steam or water to help them cook. putting them in a bowl with hot water and clingfilm would work.
i wouldnt use the wrapper it was bought in as i think they would be quite dirty if they have been in a supermarket for a week - god knows who sneezed on it - so decant and cover with clingwrap.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS