Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fruit trees in Aldi on the 6th  (Read 6962 times)

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
Fruit trees in Aldi on the 6th
« on: February 02, 2014, 06:00:18 pm »
As in the title 12 different types of tree available at £3.99 each. I am going to buy some to give it a go.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Re: Fruit trees in Aldi on the 6th
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 08:58:08 am »
I wouldn't mind giving the bramley a go. but I seem to remember reading that they don't grow up here. Can anyone enlighten me ?
 I don't really want to get a ferry over to our local Aldi if I'm just going to make the poor little sod suffer.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 10:55:12 am »
I have fab Bramleys in Fife, not sure about west coast/island environment windwise but you're not much further north than here..  My trees are 40+ years old and fruit very well most years but they do have a good windbreak hedge to the predominant winds from the west and a single low-cut larch to the east of the orchard for the odd baltic east wind days.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 12:30:23 pm »
I don't really want to get a ferry over to our local Aldi if I'm just going to make the poor little sod suffer.

Bert we bought our trees bare rooted from Adam's Apples. Give them a call - they'll happily advise you on the best breeds for your circumstances (something tells me you're not going to get that service from Aldi!)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 05:00:15 pm »
I was just thinking about getting my trees ordered so this is good timing. The problem is that I have a 40mile round trip to get them. Adding in the cost of diesel means the cost saving is depleted, and the inevitable uncertainty of quality, suitability, and even what choice there will be when I get there.

Looks like I'll be sticking with one of the nurseries, but good luck to anybody who gives them a try.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 07:22:19 pm »
I will have to ask one of the family if they can get me the full set , £48 , and i will pay them back when i don't need to buy haylage in spring .
It may not be the best way to buy fruit trees , but it is the only way i can do it , although they put them on offer at the wrong time of year , moneywise , for me .

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:25:33 pm »
Struggled to find a parking space at Aldi on Saturday - was getting my shopping there, but intended getting a couple of trees while I was there.  Looks like everyone else in the store was doing the same!!  Not many left, but got an apple and a plum tree.  Says not to plant in wet conditions ....so could be in for a wait. :raining:   They are sitting in my utility room - dare not leave outside in these 80mph winds.  Glad I was in the pick up - the trees would not have fitted in little car!!

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 04:34:18 pm »
Stella Cherry trees in Lidl at £3.99 (small).  The trees I bought last year were fine.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 11:29:57 pm »
Think I need to pop into Aldi's. We have just had one open up near us.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 08:35:27 am »

Sign up for their newsletters so you don't miss out on the special offers! Lots of gardening stuff tomorrow, but no fruit trees. For me it's rather awkward getting to, so I only go when they have something I really, really want.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 10:30:49 pm »

Sign up for their newsletters so you don't miss out on the special offers! Lots of gardening stuff tomorrow, but no fruit trees. For me it's rather awkward getting to, so I only go when they have something I really, really want.

I didn't realise you could do that. Thanks.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 11:54:30 pm »
Our Aldi still had trees available at weekend!!  I got some seed potatoes this week from there.  Think there are more gardening stuff this week.

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 01:26:35 pm »
I was in our Aldi this morning and the still had a full selection of fruit trees there plus a ton of other gardening equipment and plants. Place was going like a fair and people were filling their trolleys with stuff for the garden.  One sunny say and they think it's spring!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS