Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Air Show  (Read 5199 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Air Show
« on: September 11, 2009, 10:28:39 am »
Tomorros is RAF Leuchars annual Airshow so today they are doing their practice runs and the Vulcan etc are arriving. As our garden over looks the runway we enjoy the most incredible, and free, views. However, they noise just now is horrific. it's a good job that my animals are used to the planes and the noise. I have to say though the noise just now is quite terrifying but a brilliant display to watch. Last year it poured of rain the whole day and nothing flew. Long may these clear blue skies continue. I'm off out again to enjoy the amazing sights.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
Re: Air Show
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 10:36:57 am »
I spoke too soon, the animals are terrified. Yes they are used to the noise of  the planes but today there are many planes out at the same time, flying over our land very low and upside down etc. It is spectacular to watch but even I fear this deafening noise. The goats are running around helplessly, the ducks and geese have taken off to the river and the ponies are hiding in their stable. The goats are by far the most upset though.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 11:25:05 am »
I don't know how your goats would take to it James, but we used to have a dog who was TERRIFIED of fireworks, we put a little cotton wool into her ears on bonfire night and it did seem to settle her a bit  ;) - but there's a big difference between that and high decibel plane noise ! Might be worth a try though ?

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 11:26:43 am »
Its wonderful watching the displays, we have the same here being near RAF Valley, but the noise is horrendous, any chance of putting cotton wool in the ears to dull the sounds, some times works on the ponies?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 11:44:10 am »
Thanks, they seem to have got used to it for the moment however, it has gone quieter. Tomorrow will be the worst when the display gets under way. I have just been out watching these planes to "Loop the loop" the skill of these pilots is quite amazing - when will our planes be silent????

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 09:20:04 pm »
A friend took some amazing pitures of the Vulcan fly above the hotel yesterday, I shall scan tomorrow and try post them on here.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 09:22:14 pm »
We were in the garden yesterday and three planes went over heading for Leuchars. We (ie Dan) thought they were a Lancaster and two Spitfires. I got quite choked up because my uncle was a flight engineer on Lancasters and was killed in 1944. 

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 09:24:30 pm »
Rosemary they were indeed there yesterday and were awesome. I have to say that Leuchars gets the first of 3 squadrons next year of the Eurofighter. They performed yesterday and are sooooo noisy but watching what these machines and pilots can do just blow you away.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 09:33:55 pm »
Rosemary,

They did aBattle of Britain flypast at the Boness Hill Climb as well on the way up to Leuchars yesterday. They were a great sight, I got a couple of pics, but it is really hard to photogragh them!

Old Empty Barn

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 11:35:49 pm »
Hi folks, it was the Lancaster Spitfire & Hurricane of the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight based at Coningsby in Linconshire ....... they were up for the airshow and were also doing a flypast over the memorial in Grangemouth to all the young trainee spitfire pilots who sadly lost their lives while flying from RAF Grangemouth during the war, they then went on to do a flypast over Kingseat Hill in the Ochils where three pilots from Grangemouth flew into the cloud covered hill together while practising formation flying two of them being killed ........ very sad.

Rosemary, you may already know this ..... a Lancaster bomber exploded in midair above the Kincardine bridge, all of the crew died and the remains of the aircraft remain to this day in the mudflats near the bridge .... see link below.

http://www.gairney.plus.com/Aircraft/58_OTU_Roll_of_Honour.htm

Dave
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 11:59:23 pm by Old Empty Barn »

Hardfeather

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 10:13:36 am »
Tell me.................am I the only wet blanket left in the world, or does anyone else fail to see the point in chucking huge lumps of metal about in the air, using vast amounts of fuel which is poisoning the atmosphere, and polluting our lives with unnecessary cacophony...........and what about the mess left behind by spectators, and the cost of cleaning it up?

Formula 1 is another of my bugbears............not only do the racing cars burn huge amounts of fuel, but the punters who go to watch cause toxic waste and congestion on the roads.

Surely there must come a day when, for the sake of the planet, these pointless exercises must be curtailed.

Or am I just being too sensitive?

Old Empty Barn

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 10:32:45 am »
Lets just ban everything then !! ...... that would be a nice world to live in .......... the RAF memorial flight I was mentioning exists to remind people about the men & women who died so that you are free to express the views that you just have .......... Bomber Command alone lost 54 thousand young men during ww2 .............. you do have a point in there somewhere though, there is far too much air travel going on ! ....... all these peeps flying all over the place several times a week for so called important meetings when most of them could be held using video conferencing etc from their own offices.

Dave

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 11:00:56 am »
Surely sights like this make it all worthwhile...

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 11:42:34 am »
I have been to this Air Show a couple of times and it is well worth a visit. We have low flying aircraft from R.A.F. Kinloss so my animals are well used to the overhead noise of fast moving aircraft. An air show must be terrifying though.  :)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 11:45:17 am »
Actually the practice on Friday was way more louder than on the actual day. On Saturday the animals were actually quite calm. Every time we bring a new animal home it seems that as soon as we introduce them to the others a plane takes off and terrifies the living day lights out of them. Great welcome to  their new home, however they soon get used to it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS