Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs Back  (Read 3756 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Lambs Back
« on: September 10, 2009, 03:06:36 pm »
Well we got our 4 lambs back from the butcher yesterday, butcher told me they were good lambs. They came home at around 21KG apart from the big tup lamb he was just over 23KG, they were graded at R4L for 3 and 1 at R3L. I gave George the man I bought my orphan lambs a phone last night as he was interested to know how they had done. He was most impressed so I am well pleased. Trouble is we now have 4 lambs and 2 pigs in the freezer to eat, must invite friends for a few meals  ;D :sheep:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Lambs Back
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 03:24:32 pm »
Goodness that's a big freezer! 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 11:10:04 pm »
Very well graded out the lambs a fine job you've done of them, what breed and age where they at slaughter time??

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 11:51:14 am »
The lambs were Scottish Mule x Charollais and we got them as orphans on the 21st of March when they were three days old. So about five and half months.

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 10:40:41 pm »
Good overall breed then , well done  ;D :D

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 07:06:37 pm »
Well done.  How does the grading work? 

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 05:06:04 pm »
At what age did you send your lambs to the butcher?  I have been toying with keeping 2 lambs for the freezer but don't am not around for any regular bottle feeding. I was hoping for 2 lambs who have been weaned and was going to fatten them up.  Then was told that they are sent to the butcher about 2 weeks after being weaned.  Two weeks is not very long or is this more on a commercial side and not small holder side.  Would be interested in how old your lovelies were. 
Ros  :cat: :chook:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 05:28:02 pm »
thats about right. we don't nobble the rams lambs so it fits in well. of course you can get lambs to keep going but then you need to feed them over winter.

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 09:15:29 am »
Had a bit more time to read your article.  Your sheep were 5 1/2 months old before they went to slaughter.  Do you remember at what age you stopped bottle feeding them?  Still interested in keeping a few.
Ros

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 04:47:41 pm »
I am not sure just how old they were as I forgot to write it down but I think I went through 50 kilos of milk and they were on lamb pellets for quite a while. I have the sales invoices in one of my boxes but have been putting stuff up in the loft and I am pretty sure that's where my box will be. Its not a cheap way of raising lambs, buying a ewe with a couple of new Born's might suit you better. I have also had lambs go to slaughter in February and they were just as good, again I fed them through the winter which is added on cost.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS