Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Calf rearing??  (Read 2901 times)

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
Calf rearing??
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:41:56 pm »
I am thinking of getting a few dropped calves to grow on and sell or breed from.

What do i need to keep them and how will i be able to make it profitable?
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

Emmett

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Armagh Ireland
Re: Calf rearing??
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:47:07 pm »
Well Madden :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 11:15:44 pm »
You'll find a lot of info in this recent thread - come back and ask some more questions when you've waded through that lot!  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 04:03:14 pm »
I do calf rearing in the lambing shed after I've finished using it for shearing in May, selling the calves as potential suckler cows in February, so leaving the shed empty for lambing again.  It's a pole barn so ventilation is very good.  BUT I get top quality British Freisian x British Blue heifer calves from a local dairy farm that's meticulous about ensuring calves get sufficient colostrum and gives us buckets of the stuff when we pick them up.  We use our own hay and best quality milk powder.  We invested in cattle hurdles, a secondhand dehorning crate and calf buckets.  We've now become known for top quality calves and make a reasonable profit when they go to auction.  It helps a lot if you really like calf-rearing (which I do!)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 08:04:27 pm »
When I was at University, I did calf rearing in my summer holidays. We could get a couple of batches of Hereford x Freisian (before the days of Holsteins) heifers through in the holidays. My boss then grew them on and sold them as sucklers. Loved that job. Good calves and good hygiene absolutely essential.

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 08:44:20 pm »
The trouble is if you're going for dairy calves or dairy crosses - most heifer calves are probably going to be kept on or farmers have buyers lined up. So your often left with bull calves which you could rear for rose veal or beef - but they give a leaner carcass & take longer to fatten.

Also do you have cattle already - if so at least you'll know about TB testing & it's different in England & Wales. To me I enjoy cattle work but it's too much hassle on the paperwork side of things when compared with sheep ect.

Plus you need a big vehicle to shift adult cattle & the correct drivers licence & movement stuff to do so x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS