Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Summer 2012 air dried ham  (Read 7022 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Summer 2012 air dried ham
« on: January 28, 2014, 06:04:49 pm »
Finally got round to retrieving the ham from the barn eaves that has been there since July 2012. To be honest I wasn't feeling that positive about the potential results as the weather has been sooooo moist for what seems like an eternity that the ham was liberally covered in nasty gunk and mould. Also, the ham is bone-in and I had a major struggle with the last one so wasn't looking forward to the fight.

This time once I got the ham out of the eaves I scrubbed it quite vigorously with a saline solution to get the worst of the mould off. Then managed to estimate the correct place for the hock joint, sliced through with a knife and then disarticulated the joint which worked really well. I then worked on removing the leg and thigh bone from the bulk of the ham - first by cutting lengthways, then working my way round the bones. It worked really well and was MUCH less hassle than last year  :thumbsup:

The meat is FANTASTIC  :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Summer 2012 air dried ham
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 06:10:36 pm »
what a result.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 06:19:50 pm »
brilliant result especially considering the weather  :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 07:00:40 am »
that looks lovely! do you cut the outer layer off the remove the remaining mold?

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 07:27:21 am »
 :yum:  Looks great. What next? Invite all forum members along for a tasting? Do you cut and vac pac or keep chunks in fridge slicing as required

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 08:29:00 am »
That looks fab, I agree with ZacB that a group tasting would be a good idea.  ;)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 08:50:44 pm »
At the moment the lumps are wrapped greaseproof paper, with a loose covering of cling film and in the fridge.
OH and I have been discussing what the best way is to deal with it. Last year we sliced up all the meat with the slicer (very thin) and layered the slices in tupperware boxes between greaseproof paper then in the fridge. The downside of that is then you are faced with LOADS of ham which you feel honour bound to eat at practically every meal, which is great to start with but does rather lose its appeal :(  Then it is rather a waster because you end up eating it just because it is there and you are worried it will go off/dry out.
This year i'd like to experiment with a couple of different ways - slice some up and then freeze portions of it, and then leave some as chunks and wrap tightly in cling film and leave in fridge.

I'd be happier if we had a vac-pac thingy but hey ho!  :eyelashes:

Group tasting..... come on down!  :thumbsup:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 10:29:59 pm »
If you have Dick Sawbridges book Made at home smoking & curing
ISBN 978-1-84533-657-8

Dick uses cider vinegar to scrub up and kill off the " crud"

He also uses a home made cradle to present /display /hold the leg ( Mum & Dad used to have such a stand 60 years ago )

In his book he says take the first slice with fat on , put it to one side .

Slice what you need and then pin the first slice back in place with cocktail sticks having first rubbed the " wound with pig fat to seal it , then store in in a cool clean room..

Did you keep records as to the initial weight and the final air dried weight if so would you care to share the info to the thread  please ?
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 10:27:10 pm »
So this ham has been hanging for a year and a half? Bone in? I am impressed!

(But I could never be patient enough for that... But I still have one goats cheddar from Dec 2012!)

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 10:22:27 am »
Cracking result, hats off to you.  :yum:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 01:16:13 pm »
Did you keep records as to the initial weight and the final air dried weight if so would you care to share the info to the thread  please ?

From memory the first lot of hams we did weighed around 18lbs beforehand, and came out at about 13lbs. We got maybe 6lbs of edible meat from that after losing the skin and rockhard parts.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 06:57:36 am »
Thanks
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 07:56:05 pm »
I've been doing a bit more research wrt curing a lump of pork leg with the bone still in it.

Several places researched mention using a brine syringe to inject brine close to the bone to prevent it going off before the full air dry & cure is complete.

I've found some on eBay .. do any of you have any other sources or ideas for them that don't cost an arm and a leg ??

Geraint

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 03:36:11 pm »
Instead of a brine syringe could you use a large volume medical syringe with wide-bore needle?
Hoping to try our Parma-style ham soon, its been hanging since October and probably could do with being sampled!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS