Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: This isn't a coincidence......  (Read 4607 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
This isn't a coincidence......
« on: March 29, 2008, 01:34:08 pm »
....cos I've now found a 2nd Bantam hen dead in the hen house.   She too had been eaten around the head but not mutilated.   She had gone broody and was sitting in one of the nest boxes when I left them last night.  Whatever it was, clearly attacked her whilst she was sitting.    Could rats do this???  Would a stoat do this?    It's very sad cos they were both little Pekin Hens and I guess were easier pickings that the big hens.    :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

sacha

• Joined Mar 2008
Re: This isn't a coincidence......
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 03:20:45 pm »
Oh thats terrible, I am very sorry for you. When we first started with chickens we had quite a few little ones dead in the hutch with bites and bits missing. We later discovered a hole had been chewed in the flooring and a rats nest under the floor, so your problem could be rats.

Sorry again

Sacha

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 06:49:06 pm »
Thanks Sacha - actually there could be nest under the house (its a BIG house - about 10' x 12' - old shed - and so impossible to move) as there was another small hole in the floor.   I've put more bait down again now - as far underneath as I can reach and if it disappears over night, I'll know you're right.   B****y things.    Worried about leaving any of them now - especially the 2 remaining bantams - the rest are ordinary hen size or bigger (Brahma).   :'( :chook:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 08:03:38 pm »
That's a real shame. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

sacha

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 09:31:45 am »
Hi
Ours too was a huge shed, approx 2 foot off the floor, we blocked all round it with wood after throwing so much bait under, to stop chickens and cats etc and problem was no more. Have since removed shed and no evidence of live beasts found.

Good luck
Sacha

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS