Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best Books / Magazines to Buy to research / learn about small holding  (Read 5498 times)

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
On and off I've bought Farmers weekly and small holder.  Can you let me know what you thought was your best book / magazine for small holding.  Even if its topic specific, like made at home by James and Dick Strawbridge. Thanks.  :)  I want to arm myself with information whilst the pennies are being saved to buy / rent  the land.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Best Books / Magazines to Buy to research / learn about small holding
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 08:22:41 pm »
katie thears books were very good - smallholders manual.
and good old john seymour - he has alot to answer for - bible quality!  :roflanim:

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 10:34:24 pm »
Magazine wise Practical poultry, country small holding & smallholder. Hopefully this helps xx

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 12:24:14 pm »
We've listed books here, recommended by us or other members:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/books/

And magazines here:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/magazines/

HTH.  :)

Dan

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 06:27:57 pm »
Thanks everyone  :)  I'm still finding may way around the site, so will go to the links you have posted Dan  :)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 02:48:10 pm »
I love her column in the guardian weekend mag. it's bitesized for people with not much time or patience to read whole books on the subject and always relevant to the season.

http://www.theguardian.com/profile/alys-fowler

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 04:47:38 pm »
In the last two or three years I've had smallholding readers overload  ;D
Regularly buy country smallholding or smallholder and sometimes home farmer. Also have Kate Thears smallholder manual and Haynes smallholder manual as well as some poultry books ( because I was getting some ), sheep books and a pig keeping book.
My best advice would be to think about what you want from a smallholding. I helped on a large farm last year for sheep experience but LOVED the cows which surprised me and always thought I wanted a couple of pigs for meat but was nervous of the pigs   :thinking:

I was looking for anywhere with land but after reassessing what our family all want, can afford and can manage time wise I'm looking for a smaller amount of land to grow veg which I would really miss if I had bought land where we looked last year. And if there is enough land for some sheep then great but not essential as I also learned there is often land rentable.

I've also learned lots reading comments in this forum  :thumbsup:
HTH

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 06:04:03 pm »

My best advice would be to think about what you want from a smallholding. I helped on a large farm last year for sheep experience but LOVED the cows which surprised me and always thought I wanted a couple of pigs for meat but was nervous of the pigs   :thinking:

That's a very good comment, because in just a short space of time from being on here, I / we have already reassessed things.   :)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 06:23:53 pm »
Pm me your address and I'll send you Seymour if you don't already have it ( probably heresy, but I hated it.... ) I enjoyed country smallholder when I was dreaming, but this site is all you will ever need once you've decided  ;D  And Tim Tyne if you have sheep.  I do like the dick strawbridge small holding book, but not many books are in enough detail once you really start into stuff....

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 06:58:34 pm »
Don't know where you have been considering but have a look at the north of Scotland.  We got a croft with 11.5 acres and one bedroom house and byre for 120k last year. The weather's not for everyone but we LOVE it!
There are also benefits to crofting in the shape of grants available although they can be a double edged sword too!
All the best on your journey. :thumbsup:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

lilfeeb

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Kinross-shire
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 08:27:14 am »
Theres a book written in 1864 which might be of interest written by Edward Morris. you can read an electronic copy here. For many of us on the forum, much of it is still applicable now.

http://www.sufficientself.com/threads/10-acres-enough-book-free-download-great-reading.2826/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS