Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scanned  (Read 11267 times)

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
Scanned
« on: January 24, 2014, 07:47:25 pm »
I had my 12 mule thieves scanned today and 11 of them are having twins and only 1 scanned for a single.
I Just hope they all arrive now I know what they are expecting.
we scanned them while we did my bosses, he has 90 mules and they are scanned with 178 lambs.
for the past 4 years he's been very accurate. they all produce what he scanned them as except the ones that must of hidden.
Last year was a very good year and we got over 200% to market. there were some 4's in that which were only scanned for 2 so that bumped it up quite a lot and If i remember right 10 had 3's that were scanned for 2. only one ewe failed to lamb and we had very few losses.
Thats why I bought mules and for the easy lambing, (oh dear I've said it now)
 I also kept 20 of last years lambs which will go to my tup in november.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Scanned
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 07:57:54 pm »
We had ours scanned today - one barren (no surprise), three singles, eight twins and one triplet. Never had triplets before  :)

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 07:58:46 pm »
What breed do you have?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 07:59:42 pm »
Coloured Ryelands

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 08:00:36 pm »
I take it your happy with those results then. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 08:30:38 pm »
Yep. If I get 21 lambs to weaning, I'll be well pleased.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 08:31:12 pm »
I take it your happy with those results then.

You sound like I shouldn't be  ???

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 08:44:31 pm »
Welldone YoungRasher thats a really good %!  :excited:

I havn't scanned my 12 and will just have to wait and see! I am buying 3 more in in two weeks time and they are scanned so thats ok :) so will have 15 ewes lambing this spring, cant wait to see how many lambs I will be getting :)

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 11:07:39 pm »
Sorry. i didn't mean it to come across that way. typing when tired doesn't help.

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 07:04:55 am »
Not such good news for us- I thought our ram looked past it and that proved to be the case- 8 empty and only 1 with twins. Still, at least the 2 we do have will be pampered!!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 10:29:52 am »
We had ours scanned today - one barren (no surprise), three singles, eight twins and one triplet. Never had triplets before  :)

Watch out for the triplet-bearer.  Our Southdown carrying 3 lambed 6 days early last year.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 10:41:17 am »

Watch out for the triplet-bearer.  Our Southdown carrying 3 lambed 6 days early last year.

Thanks for the tip - not really what I wanted  :thinking: My first single is due seven days after the triplets, so that could be two weeks. Not going to make twinning on very easy, is it?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 12:42:08 pm »
You just never know, Rosemary... ;)  Sometimes they scan for 3 but only produce 2, sometimes the triples hang on and lamb late... and you may manage to twin on anyway, the triplets (or at least one of them) are likely to be small compared to the singles, so by the time the single lambs the smallest triplet could still be the same size as the newborn.

If the foster lamb is a few days old, you'll need to employ all the 'tricks' to get mum to accept it - and IME you need to be present as the adoptive mother lambs and intervene immediately in order to get it to work.  Easier with an inexperienced mum - but then not always best to ask a first-timer to rear twins.   :thinking:

As always, interesting times ahead !  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 12:49:24 pm »
We've just had one lot of earlies and my ewe lambs scanned so far.  Thankfully my ewe lambs are all empty  :relief:, but not so helpfully, the shearling that is meant to be tupped that was running with them is also empty.   :(  Which now has me worried that Cap'n could've been firing blanks - which would mean all my fleece sheep bar Pug (the Icelandic) being empty  :o.  So I'll have all fingers and toes crossed until we get the rest of my girls scanned!  (BH says I shouldn't worry - Sophie was a bit poorly during tupping, so that's the most likely explanation for her being barren.  He's keeping her on to try again next year - we'll have to watch she doesn't get too pudgy, she's part Suffolk and a 'good do-er' ;) )

And the other surprise empty sheep was everyone's favourite mule, Cheeky.  It would have been her 4th crop - I brought her and three others with me from the moorland farm - so I decided I better be 'sensible' and let her go.   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(   Gosh, I shall miss her!   :'(

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 06:32:05 pm »
, he has 90 mules and they are scanned with 178 lambs.
for the past 4 years he's been very accurate. they all produce what he scanned them as except the ones that must of hidden.
Last year was a very good year and we got over 200% to market. there were some 4's in that which were only scanned for 2 so that bumped it up quite a lot and If i remember right 10 had 3's that were scanned for 2..
                                                                                                                                                                 Sorry  but from the above information your scanner is 87% or less accurate when he should be in the late nineties, triplets and quads should not be a problem ,  I normally have  0.5% inaccurate scans .                             Good scan %  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS