Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep fencing???  (Read 5322 times)

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
Sheep fencing???
« on: January 23, 2014, 01:03:46 pm »
Hopefully this weekend i am going to get a sheep fence built its around 50m so what things will i need to build it and some photos would be good aswell???
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Sheep fencing???
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 01:09:23 pm »
is it a straight line or corners?

basic stock netting needs a straining post at each end these are about 6-8inch diameter and you need to bury as much in the ground as is sticking out of the ground.

3inch stays every 6 to 8 ft

stocknetting

line wire and a lot of staples...

if you haven't fitted any before and can't find someone to show you, get on youtube and look at some videos.

its easy to do but a getting the netting tight is crucial and requires a bit of practice...

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 07:39:44 pm »
what size of posts should i use?
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

jacoblambuk

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 08:49:22 pm »
Hi you want 3" square or round 5'6" posts about 6 Ft apart you will have to get a post nocker or post hammer.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 08:58:31 pm »
If your 'getting it built', like you say - just buy fence posts and mesh - and a crate of beer to watch with ;)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 09:00:48 pm »
Seriously its not as hard as everyone makes out.  A good fence is but a secure fence is just a case of doing it and then finding the bits they get through.  Dont be threatened by it - its and easy job and it wont work everytime unless you are a fencer.

Dont really matter a jit if its a bit loose here and there - as long as the sheep cant get through- its a winner.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 09:05:15 pm »
Its all about the straining posts being in enough so you can get enough tension. If you don't get enough tension on the fence, it wont last.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 10:31:42 am »
Seriously its not as hard as everyone makes out.  A good fence is but a secure fence is just a case of doing it and then finding the bits they get through.  Dont be threatened by it - its and easy job and it wont work everytime unless you are a fencer.

Dont really matter a jit if its a bit loose here and there - as long as the sheep cant get through- its a winner.

If its a permanent fence then - really disagree - they say good fences make good neighbours!
Even if its a fence in the middle of your field then you obviously want to keep them one side or the other or you would just open the gate
and how do you find the bit they get through  - well obviously you can see the wool but if its an external fence then asking the boy who's car your sheep has just been in a collision with is perhaps not your best move.

A good fence isn't actually difficult to do
Best thing is to do it properly in the first place and it isn't hard
First dig in (and fix with stone) 2 strainers with stays
then attach a bottom wire and tension with radishers - this gives you the straight line
there after insert posts every six feet or so by pinching a hole in and driving a 5ft6 post in to 4 ft or so above the ground

there after put a wire at the distance above the bottom line your netting reaches - usuall 80 cm

then put a further line 4 to 6 inches above again tension both with a radisher then nail the netting on to one end then role along keeping tension best if you can use a clamp or bar to tension the netting prior to nailing up
finally once nailed up then you can clip the netting on to the top and bottom line

yes it does take time and tools and a bit of physical effort
but also yes it should hopefully last 10 - 15  -20 years depending on whats in the field, materials, conditions etc
far better than twiddling about every week
and certainly far better than having stock where they should not be
BL

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 10:45:42 am »
i dont know why everyone makes their fences so low (except cost) mine is standard size and my dogs, cows, sheep (soays), goats and ponies have jumped it in the past. if i was starting from scratch i would make it alot higher.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 12:28:17 pm »
Depends what you are trying to keep in a 3 wire fence with netting is usually sufficient for most stock, if you have jumpers either barbed wire or electric on the top line usually cures it  and if they can jump that clean then an extra ( preferably electric) wire run using wood angled in towards the field is another option

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 02:09:34 pm »
Brrrrr!  Hope you had either better weather than me (or more sense).  I just cam in from fencing my front paddock to warm up, soaked and frozen!
Most everybody has given you good advice, only thing I can add is remember you have to look at it every time you go to check your sheep.  If it's loose and floppy you will wish you had made a better job of it.  I use the car to tension my wire now before I fix it, looks much better than my first attempt.
good luck

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 05:09:40 pm »
The only thing a newbie might add is to use High Tensile wire/netting, a lot less prone to sagging.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS