Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanna watch the Norwegian Sheep-to-Sweater attempt?  (Read 2327 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Wanna watch the Norwegian Sheep-to-Sweater attempt?
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:05:13 am »
Norwegian TV channel NRK’s broadcast of their sheep to sweater record attempt is now available to watch, complete with English dubbing.

If you fancy about 12 hours of knitting/spinning entertainment, there’s the Knitting Evening which includes some lessons, history etc. and then the Sheep to Sweater Record Attempt

No, I haven't watched it myself yet, I'm just copying the info from Ravelry - but I am certainly going to try!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
Re: Wanna watch the Norwegian Sheep-to-Sweater attempt?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 10:44:35 am »
The various guilds do this every year don't they. The British record is a lot shorter than 12 hours too  :knit:
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:47:32 am »
The various guilds do this every year don't they. The British record is a lot shorter than 12 hours too  :knit:

just realised I misread the 12hr bit ..... der.
Anyone know what the current record is?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 12:47:11 pm »
4hrs 51 mins pre this attempt held by australia

don't want to spoil the outcome for anyone wishing to watch norwegians knitting...

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 05:09:15 pm »
Wow....I know thats a group attempt. My record  (all by my lonesome) is nearer a year

Ive built up a bit of a backlog of fleeces and am trying to process them before I chop the next lot off!

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 05:15:07 pm »
As a new, self taught spinner, and long term knitter, the idea of a sweater from the fleece in a matter if hours is amazing! It has taken me several days to produce 90 grms of sort of chunky yarn!

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 11:50:19 am »
I once made a sweater single handed in six hours from fleece to garment, it can be done.
I used a very open fleece which didn't need carding and spun it using a New Zealand long draw technique, treadling furiously. Once plied to about the same thickness as an Arran yarn, I knitted it up on the knitting machine and washed the whole thing afterwards. I had to hoover the knitting machine afterwards too but it was a fairly clean fleece, to be fair.
NZ long draw is gratifyingly fast, all you do is pull the fleece into long open strips and spin from it. You have to be bold as the drafting area is as long as your arm can make it.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 10:49:07 pm »
 :thumbsup:  Impressive.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS