Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Favourtie Marmalade Recipes?  (Read 6343 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Favourtie Marmalade Recipes?
« on: January 15, 2014, 01:54:47 pm »
Any to share? I made my mum's recipes last year - Three Fruits and Oxford - but have quite a few pots left, the rain is falling and Seville oranges are calling. So I'm making a list of new recipes to try. I've got Five fruits, Whisky, Orange and Ginger and Lemon Shred already on the list. What else should I try?

Min

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Edinburgh
Re: Favourtie Marmalade Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 11:59:39 am »
I have never managed to branch out in the marmalade stakes but I was really pleased with the Seville orange marmalade I made the other day. Can't beat the classics perhaps! I would quite like to try some other recipes though.

What is Oxford marmalade?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 12:02:55 pm »
According to my book Oxford marmalade is with added spirits i.e. whisky, rum etc.  I have made it and OH loves it.
I have just brought a bottle of spiced rum back from my hols and the oranges have been ordered  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

rkardo

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 01:11:30 pm »
Quince marmalade...

I actually never saw them on sale here but my mum did it every year and when I was back in Portugal i made quite often...

I it is great with cheese on nice warm bread...

Min

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 03:59:35 pm »
Bionic - oh that sounds nice! I tried whisky marmalade once and it was lovely.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 10:39:26 pm »
My oxford marmalade recipe has no spirits in  - just thick cut peel and dark brown sugar so it's a heavier marmalade than some of the others. I made five types this year in the end - the four listed above and the WI recipe (they have a category for it in the national marmalade championships). All going down well and since I've made about 40 pots this year to add to the ten or so left over from last year, I don't think I'll need to make any more for a while!

H

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 11:48:43 pm »
Breakfast at your place then?  :roflanim:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 12:10:42 pm »
Whenever! Bit of a long way to come but I'm happy to host!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 11:28:39 pm »
 :D :D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 08:26:19 pm »
I'm still finding my way with marmalade. I made a great batch accidentally a couple of years ago and have never been able to repeat the process and have had three failures since. Am going to try again this weekend whilst the weather is crap I think.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 08:31:01 pm »
I usually add a couple of lemons, technically making it Dundee marmalade, and slice the peel in the food processor. It seems to work ok, and sets well. I made marmalade from frozen oranges last year and really struggled to get it to set.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 10:09:25 pm »
I believe the pectin starts to reduce on freezing and drops the longer it's frozen for, so it might be worth adding a little pectin if you've frozen them (although not usually a problem for citrus fruits). Mind you, I always find it takes loads longer to get to setting point than any recipe says - I just use a normal pan which may slow it a little but normally takes the best part of an hour's boiling to get there for me.

H

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 08:12:02 am »
Yes - I have frozen oranges and I was going to use jam making sugar with them as well as the pulp and stuff.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS