Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone made lamb jackets/coats before?  (Read 4749 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Anyone made lamb jackets/coats before?
« on: January 08, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »
So I have a little spare time in the evenings and I've started making jumpers but I can't work out if they are the right size. I'd like to knit a few jumpers for my lambs just in case I need them or I could just put it on the rabbit!

Anyone have any pics, designs or measurements they would share?

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: Anyone made lamb jackets/coats before?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 06:25:30 pm »
Hi, first attempt at attaching phot - apologies if it does not work.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 07:59:01 pm »
It did work and how cute is that lamb!

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 09:37:24 am »
Will pm you later - i.e. afte dark - too many jobs to do as IT IS NOT  :raining: AND THERE ARE BLUE SKIES!!! :sunshine: :sunshine:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 08:21:23 pm »
Never tried knitting them (just as well, as I can't knit)  I have a few made from old acrylic fleece, jacket liners and sweatshirts - just a rectangle with a couple of holes for the front legs.  Anything very small born on a very cold night gets one for a couple of days - just keeps in the lamb's own heat and, provided it has sufficient colostrum and the ewe mothers up well, it can be taken off after that and will thrive.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 11:20:10 pm »
This is the little ewe that was stolen last night.  You can see how tiny she was compared with her (normal) twin sister.  At 10 months old she probably still only weighed 18kg; I would never have bred from her.

I bought the jackets in a local animal charity shop and I will try and get the pattern for you.

My two tiny lambs wore them for a few days just to keep the chill out, but soon outgrew them ;D

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 01:37:50 pm »
Hi, I cannot seem to send the link but the ladies are knitting from 'Battersea Dogs' Home Knitting Patterns'.  The smallest size is suitable for lambs :thumbsup:
Let me know if you cannot find it and I'll try another way to post the details.  I now have a collection in various sizes ready for lambing :fc: if I have any more tiddlers.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 01:54:20 pm »
Oh! bullets points as well, how did that happen?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS