Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Home killing/butchering  (Read 19338 times)

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Home killing/butchering
« on: January 06, 2014, 03:11:28 pm »
I have no knowledge of pigs whatsoever but i'm slowly learning with the intention of keeping a small number of them in the future so excuse the pig ignorance  ;D

I'm happy with everything i've learned so far but the killing/butchery side of things looks to be a major expense and to be honest its something I would be quite happy to undertake myself.

Now I'm not up on the laws and regulations covering pigs but is there anything that would legally prevent me killing and butchering my own pigs at home for home consumption only??

I've butchered the odd sheep, quite a few deer etc so I have no problem there and although I appreciate pigs are different, I can learn as I go.

Can it legally be done?

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Re: Home killing/butchering
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 03:20:45 pm »
Been looking through the firearms guidance and it states you need a licence (which is free, apparently)

13.41 The slaughter of animals for human consumption will often be carried out using captive- bolt instruments that are not considered “firearms” for legal purposes. However, authorisation to possess and acquire a free-bullet slaughtering instrument may be granted to proprietors of slaughterhouses, knackermen, deer and wild boar farmers, butchers and farmers, smallholders and crofters who need to slaughter their own animals. Expanding ammunition should also be authorised for this purpose.

So looks like it is legal but don't take my word for it

Have a read of this:

http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/guidancenotes/meatregsguid/home-slaughter-livestock/livestockguidance/home-killguide.pdf
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 03:27:24 pm »
Cheers Spandit,

I actually came across some similar things on my Google searching which said they could be shot at home using .22 rimfire or a shotgun to the back of the head, (the pig was feeding out of a bucket at the time)  ::)

they recommended a 410 shotgun as it was effective but made a lot less mess (and was not so prone to ricochet as a bullet)

I am a FAC holder so that would not be a problem, it's more the legal side of doing it that concerns me.

Although I appreciate the image of someone shooting a pig in the back of the head at home may be a bit disconcerting for some  ;D

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 03:30:55 pm »
the edited highlights from other threads where it has been discussed a fair bit

if you do the deed with a legally held weapon and do all the butchery yourself and it is only consumed by you and family members living at the same premises it is legal.

there are a number of bits that have to be removed from the carcass and set aside for collection by fallen stock people not sure what though.

im sure someone will be along soon with better advice...

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 03:35:21 pm »
A brief read of the file I linked to said that pigs are exempt from TSE regulations but you still need a means of disposing of the bits. I don't think I could do it...

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 03:44:35 pm »
Yep just read that  :thumbsup:

I could do it no problem, I just wouldn't want to end up in hot water for it!  ;D

I did have a search Bloomer but all I could find were things about butchering at home after the abattoir had killed them.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 03:46:54 pm »
I'd feel a bit mean shooting a pig in the back of the head whilst it's eating but I suppose it's a necessary process. How would you dispose of the bits?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 03:49:42 pm »
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=39082.msg385476#msg385476

this one talks about getting someone in to do the deed (not allowed) good comments further down from oaklandspigs

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 03:54:05 pm »
I may have to have them collected by an approved collector, will need to investigate more.

Although from what I have been reading it looks like I should also be doing that with my poultry feathers and intestines rather than just wrapping them up and putting them in the domestic bin!  :innocent:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 03:56:01 pm »
We used to shoot them the same and then burn the haire of .I would build a place to do it 3 trees like wig wam chain that's it.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 03:58:17 pm »
We used to shoot them the same and then burn the haire of .I would build a place to do it 3 trees like wig wam chain that's it.

Was there anything you had to do legal wise? form filling/notification etc?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 03:58:35 pm »

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 04:00:29 pm »
It does seem odd that one can't get a licenced person in to do it. As I understand it, without any training, I could legally shoot one of my own pigs, running the risk of injuring/distressing it but someone familiar with the process couldn't.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 04:04:06 pm »
That i'm afraid is the world we live in!  ;D

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 04:04:46 pm »
can you tell the powers that be don't like the idea at all!!!

the rules are written to make the abattoir the appealing option, shame so many have shut down really.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS