Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: table /charts for various cures  (Read 2950 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
table /charts for various cures
« on: December 26, 2013, 11:12:21 pm »
Santa in fishnets gave me a small smoker kit . It's some thing I've often wnted to have a go at.

The trouble  is I find most of the books on smoking cold or hot rather wishey washey .. do any of you know if there are any places online where I can find a chart with cure recipes in metric measures ?

Do any of you  know if there is a percentage weight loss recommended list so I can judge how well I've got the cure right .
My first cure before smoking will be farmed salmon I've got a 50/50 cure of cooking salt and light brown sugar weighing in at 466 gram .... some figures I've found suggested a 13 % reduction in weight which would run to 400 gram  when correctly finished ready for cold smoking .

All comments most welcome ..

Tomorrow I hope  I'll be doing my first ever  8 hour or so long  smoke ,  using four pounds of cheese cut up into in 1& 1/8 inch  ( 30mm) thick slabs laid on racks in my purpose constructed smoke cupboard thing.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: table /charts for various cures
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 11:32:59 pm »
cant help with cures but have to say yum!!!

i am available for product testing on request  :excited: :excited: :excited:

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 12:45:15 pm »
We used this article as a guide for home smoked salmon.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/jul/16/how-to-smoke-salmon-at-home

After smoking thinly sliced, ate a load, vac packed and froze remainder  :yum:
Great results and can happily recommend.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 02:39:52 am »
Would you like to borrow my copy of this book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=keith+erlandson+home+smoking+and+curing&tag=googhydr-21&index=stripbooks&hvadid=31454230880&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1951384029476837798&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2rbshr4gfn_b

Thanks Bodger I ended up getting it and another smoking book on my Kindle-lite .. it certainly beats the old Mrs Beeton  era books we have on the subject that my parents used. 
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 08:15:45 am »
Happy smoking Clodders. :farmer:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 10:14:42 pm »
Thankeee Kind Sir,

The first cheeses & salmon went down a treat
 Second batch of cheese is a couple of pounds of softish Red Leicester cut into 1" thick slabs ..smoked for 7 hours over night and taken out the ice cold smoker this morning at 07.30hrs. & brought inside then wrapped in tin foil then put in the fridge to mature.

I've just made 4.5 litres of pork cure. ( Page 23 of Dick Sawbridge's , "Made at home curing & smoking "  book)  ( )

I've boiled it all up and then simmered it for 10 min ,  now it's cooled I can taste the seasonings & spices in it despite the salt ..it smells good as well )

Should I have boiled & simmered it ???? It wasn't 100% clear in the book.

I'm going to use some to cure and then smoke local butchers shop made pork & beef sausages which we will eat the same day cooked in the " George "  the infrared griller .
 I'm also going to try curing and smoke chicken breasts in a separate lidded Pyrex dish  but after curing them I'm leaving then in the fridge @ 3 oC for 24 hrs before smoking them  ,
After smoking them I hope we can use a breast straight away in a sticky sauce so we can have cooked sticky smoked chicken & fine cut salad stuff in pitta's bread.

What we don't use there & then will be frozen in heat sealed vac packs and used within 6 months ..

Can anyone see any problems with what I propose ? 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS