Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spammers  (Read 184699 times)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Spammers
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 12:25:52 pm »
Don't look now but? :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 08:20:52 am »
apparently spammers respect christmas day as we had none yesterday

but boxing day is fair game... 2 more burned in my withering gaze this morning!!!

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 01:36:51 pm »

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 01:47:27 pm »
and more :rant:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 03:03:52 pm »
.... I zapped 3 or 4 yesterday  so there were some on Christmas day .... I just got to them first!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 04:56:36 pm »
A couple more just appeared, have reported them. :o
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 05:04:14 am »
Its 4.50am and at this time, there are three separate spam adverts on the forum. TAS has obviously been marked down on the spammers almanac as an 'easy touch' and as long as the spammers know that anyone can register and immediately spam at will, then its going to be a continuing problem.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 05:11:36 am »
Yes just removed 6 more this morning   :thumbsup:
Graham

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 07:14:15 am »
Most of the spammers come from a few particular countries. There are ways and means of weeding these out. Drop me a line if you need some info.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 07:32:04 am by Bodger »

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 09:32:30 am »
Most of the spammers come from a few particular countries. There are ways and means of weeding these out. Drop me a line if you need some info.

I'm all ears!

We block IP address ranges at our firewall, known spam-originating IP addresses, email addresses and hostnames at the application level via a third-party spam tracking service, and have extensive pattern matching of email addresses, hostnames and IP addresses in our our ban lists which are triggered at the point of registration. Between them these measures prevent hundreds of registrations per day, but obviously some are still getting through.

If there's something else we could be doing please post it, all contributions welcome.  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 10:05:47 am »
I think you and all your Mods are doing a great job, Dan.   :bouquet:

To be honest the posts are pretty obvious and most of us are sensible enough not to read them, except that you have to open them in order to report them. And I hope NONE of us are silly enough to click on any of the links!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2013, 10:49:29 am »
blocking the spammers is fine but where will i be able to get my little blue pills....     :roflanim: :roflanim:
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

MartinC

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2013, 11:49:36 am »
Bodger asked me to come over and take a look at this for you, I'm an Admin for the OTG forum so use to dealing with these things.

SMF forums (Version 2 and above) support Captcha which is a lot more effective than the verification question.

There's also an option to make new users pass anti-spambot tests before making posts while their post count is less than a certain number.

IP blocking is good but you need to be careful not to block genuine users. We use to use a similar thing to replace swear words on the OTG forum but ended up replacing other words due to misuse of the wild cards.

Manual activation of users is the only surefire way to get rid of them but that means an Admin having time to individually check out and unlock the users when they join.

Martin.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2013, 04:04:11 pm »
I am admin on a couple of Facebook Groups and I have to monitor all requests to join.  It's not difficult and doesn't take a lot of time.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 07:21:04 am »
Another annoying crop this morning and some of them not at all pleasant.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS