Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Type 1 transporter authorisation... help  (Read 7203 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Type 1 transporter authorisation... help
« on: December 15, 2013, 05:19:49 pm »
Sorry for all the posts at the moment.

We are looking to buy some ewes that are 75 miles away (1hour and a half) which is of course over 65km. Very very confused as to what exactly a Type 1 transporter authorisation is that is needed for over 65km. No idea how you get one and what a certificate of competence is and where you get that from?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Type 1 transporter authorisation... help
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 05:31:02 pm »
Try the DEFRA website - we took our test when it was first introduced.  Took about half-an-hour at the local ag. college.  Some stuff to learn but mostly commonsense.  We had to take a second part (with some questions in common) to be able to transport pigs as well as sheep.  There's a whole different section for transporting poultry.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 05:47:32 pm »
Do you have a local training group or college doing agricultural course, they might be able to help. Don't know if it has changed much, but when I did it it was just ticky boxes.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 06:30:43 pm »
Ok so it turns out we have a  certificate of competence. Its just the Type 1 thingy! does anyone know how long it takes to get one?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 06:53:23 pm »
Sorry for all the posts at the moment.

We are looking to buy some ewes that are 75 miles away (1hour and a half) which is of course over 65km. Very very confused as to what exactly a Type 1 transporter authorisation is that is needed for over 65km. No idea how you get one and what a certificate of competence is and where you get that from?

Bear in mind you only need type 1 or cert of competence if the transporting is in connection with an economic activity. So a couple of pets don't count, it depends how many you are fetching.

TBH if it's quite a few and quite a distance, I've tended to find the transporters as cheap or nearly as doing it myself if I'm not in so much of a hurry as they can do it as a back load.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 06:57:51 pm »
Its for ten ewes, what is the definition of economic activity? I don't really want to use a haulier as I want them on and off the trailer asap as they are in lamb

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 08:25:53 pm »
Its for ten ewes, what is the definition of economic activity? I don't really want to use a haulier as I want them on and off the trailer asap as they are in lamb

Really it means is it a business or a hobby. Ie are they an interest or a (in theory at least) livelihood. If you sell meat or stock then it gets more like economic activity but still depends on interpretation, as a hobby person might only sell a couple every few years. I think really if it's nominal amounts/numbers of money/transactions and your income comes from elsewhere then it's a hobby, but it is open to the officials interpretation.

Interestingly I tried to register for the type 1 and they said after chatting to me I couldn't as I wasn't a proper farm or business ! So will quote that if I ever got stopped (our abbatoir is under the limit as the crow flies but borderline on the route we like to take)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:30:34 pm by lachlanandmarcus »

jacoblambuk

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 08:28:51 pm »
Hi if it had been 2 or3 sheep you can transport them as long as you have enough people as many sheep i was told from defra if that makes sense 1 sheep to one person.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 08:30:54 pm »
how are you not a proper farm?  :roflanim:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 08:32:27 pm »
Hi if it had been 2 or3 sheep you can transport them as long as you have enough people as many sheep i was told from defra if that makes sense 1 sheep to one person.

That's true ( altho it's a separate exemption from the economic one )

It applies both to commercial economic transporting and also non economic hobby stuff.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 09:35:12 pm »
I think really if it's nominal amounts/numbers of money/transactions and your income comes from elsewhere then it's a hobby, but it is open to the officials interpretation.

My income comes from elsewhere, as last year was my first year the money I sold the few lambs I had and the cash I got for them was re invested so to speak. So I could get away with that. I may just ring the AHVLA transport hotline and see what they think

VikkiB

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 04:41:03 pm »
I know this thread is really old, but I have the same issue and was hoping for help.
I gather we are exempt from the requirements on both being hobby farmers and also having the same number of people as sheep but I still don't know how to fill out section 2 (transport section) of the movement licence.
Does anyone know what to put??

Thanks

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 05:02:29 pm »
For section 2 we just put what we have seen other people do i.e. haulier - self and whoever is driving signs it.
We did look at getting the certificate but when I enquired a couple of years ago it was £130 to sit the test and you don't get any tuition for that either.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 06:21:51 pm »
I wonder if anyone ever does check up on miles travelled and so on (and, yes, I do have a Type 1!)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 07:56:45 pm »
Yes, I wondered that.  It would be easy enough to do, given that they have both the departing and arriving CPH numbers!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS