Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Variation in chicken processing practice  (Read 2748 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Variation in chicken processing practice
« on: December 15, 2013, 03:44:06 pm »
Having recently processed my first chickens, I am interested to know what sequence people use for killing/plucking/hanging/cooking/gutting etc as I suspect that there is  plenty of variation.

We plucked the chickens straight away and then I let mine hang for about 24hrs then I gutted and jointed them. I would have left them to hang longer but I am only here at the weekends so time was a bit tight.

The result was absolutely delicious.

What do other people do?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Variation in chicken processing practice
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 04:23:16 pm »
I did all three of my experiences the same  ;D

1. Shot and slit throat ( just to make sure  ::) )
2. pluck immediately while warm
3.  Hang in fridge 2-3 days
4. Gutted and froze.

They tasted great. Last one killed was our favourite cockerel and was special. So we are keeping him for Xmas day.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
Re: Variation in chicken processing practice
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 08:57:15 am »
Having recently processed my first chickens, I am interested to know what sequence people use for killing/plucking/hanging/cooking/gutting etc as I suspect that there is  plenty of variation.

We plucked the chickens straight away and then I let mine hang for about 24hrs then I gutted and jointed them. I would have left them to hang longer but I am only here at the weekends so time was a bit tight.

The result was absolutely delicious.

What do other people do?

Ditto. Same with Turkeys when we have done them in the past. Hanging time dependant on weather as we hang ours in an out-building.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS