Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New member of the family!  (Read 6217 times)

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
New member of the family!
« on: December 10, 2013, 11:21:38 pm »

I've just told the dog he's getting a cat for Christmas, as his mouse catching skills are abysmal!

I'm please to tell everyone that i'm finally getting my own cat and I don't need to steal my mothers anymore, a little black girl from a small rescue in Newton Stewart, she's 2 years old, spayed and is used to living with dogs and most importantly for me she's a qualified mouser!

She's a wee beauty and when I get her home I'll post a picture  :excited:

I just hope dog and cat can learn to live in harmony  ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: New member of the family!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 03:41:44 am »
How exciting for you  :excited:

Can't wait to see the pics when she arrives
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 06:17:19 am »
Great news. Does she have a name? Lovely that she has a home for Christmas. It will be interesting to know  how your dog feels about this present when it arrives  :D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 07:32:33 am »
We brought Penfold home 18th December last year from CP rescue centre. He's settled in beautifully and gets along fine with the dogs. We love him to bits.

Good luck with your wee girl - a Christmas blessing  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 10:14:24 am »

I've just told the dog he's getting a cat for Christmas, as his mouse catching skills are abysmal!
I just hope dog and cat can learn to live in harmony  ;D
I think you should tell him he is getting a new BOSS for Christmas  :roflanim: :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 10:19:08 am »
Look forward to some photos, Cats are always top dogs!! 
I watched this and loved it
You Shall Not Pass, Dog

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 10:30:20 am »
I think you can see every one of the 30 calming signals in those clips   :excited:- Cats Rule, OK!  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 07:49:13 pm »

Thanks everyone  :thumbsup:

Can't wait to have my own wee cat to make my wee house a home! Her name Mammyshaz is Blackie original I know, but shes two so maybe not fair to try and change it.

I'm having a quiet Christmas so its perfect timing five days off so I'm here with her.  :fc: I'll post pictures when she gets here  :excited:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 10:31:55 pm »
You can change her name to something similar - we change Sandy (My husbands name!) our first cocker to Brandy with no problems.

How about Lucky?

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 09:41:35 am »
The soon get used to  being called other things  :innocent: .....no need to keep the name at all, I often call my dogs buy their nic names and they understand!!!

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 08:41:38 pm »

Nicknames! I had to watch the video again so funny! Just wrapping up Christmas presents wee cats got a packet of Dreamies! Cats love them can't wait until she gets here  ;D

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 11:12:32 pm »
I love the faces of the dogs in the video, I used to watch my 2 cats hide in the garden and jump out when my German Shepard and Labrador walked buy. I am quite envious as I so want a cat again but dare not get one until we have sold as we may end up renting and we already  have 4 dogs to accommodate ..Cats are a law to themselves and our dogs never ever go after or bark at the cats that sit on the wall around our garden!

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 05:52:17 pm »

When I was going to see the cat again the lady from the rescue mentioned shes allergic to fleas and has to be frontlined every six weeks, I have heard there are other medical problems associated with this condition anybody else had this problem. Am I just going to take on a problem here?

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 05:57:37 pm »
I had to read that twice as I thought you meant the rescue owner!! anyway, quite a lot of animals are sensitive to flea bites, if you keep her font lined she should be OK  :fc: ......obviously for a while you will keep her in, until she has settled and knows where she is, I was told to put some butter on my cats but they always seemed to come back when we moved house!!  I do not think the problem is going to be too costly, not like other illness, you can also use antihistamine but again, I keep forgetting which you can use on animals, that's to calm down any itchy ness!!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 07:25:07 pm »
Flea allergic dermatitis is a skin reaction to the saliva of fleas. It causes itchiness and scabs. It is common and easily treated with cheap medication from vets if she has a flare up. Antihistamines are used with care in cats and rarely needed so don't use any not supplied by a vet.  The majority of these cats have a happy healthy life as long as they are protected from fleas regularly. Frontline is probably best avoided if she has allergy to fleas as some fleas are immune to it now. There are better products such as stronghold for cats. Remember to protect your house with a house spray such as RIP and all other cats and dogs in the house so they don't pass on any fleas to your little Blackie.
Any animal has it's health risks, at least you can take the correct precautions as soon as Blackie arrives since you know her problem. You may not be aware of health problems of other animals or of what a young animal may develop.

Oh, to answer your question, I'm not aware of any other problems commonly linked to this allergy  :)

HTH

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS