Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poultry killing out %  (Read 9402 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Poultry killing out %
« on: March 24, 2008, 10:51:49 am »
Our Hubbards are now 8 weeks old and as big as our layers. Can anyone tell us what the KO% for poultry is? We can then weight them liveweight and decide if they are ready or not.

Thanks

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
Re: Poultry killing out %
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 02:08:24 pm »
Hi Rosemary

I did a search and found this http://www.certifiedorganic.bc.ca/rcbtoa/training/poultrybreeds.htm

It says you'll lose 22%

Learn something new every day  :D

Pebbles

hebber

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 05:00:50 pm »
Hello Rosemary and Pebbles,
Just out of interest - what are you talking about?  What is KO%?  Is this something to do with the weight when you decide to slaughter your chickens? 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 09:46:01 pm »
Hi, Hebber

Killing out % is the % of the animal's liveweight that is useable carcase i.e. after the insides and stuff are removed.Looks the KO% of poultry is about 78% - this is high compared to other species. I think the KO% of cattle will be much less - maybe 50%, because of the huge amount of guts that a cow has.

If Andrew Sharp reads this, he'll know because he used to be a butcher and they know thsi kind of thing!!

hebber

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 02:12:33 pm »
Hi Rosemary,
Thanks for that.  I've realised through reading this forum that you only get a fraction of the information you need about all this from the books... while we're on the subject of slaughtering chickens I was thinking of getting some semark pliers for when I decided to eat one of my chickens.  Have you used these before?  Do you find them useful?  I've been put off killing any of my chickens so far because I'm worried about getting it wrong and making them suffer unnecessarily.  A friend of mine said these semark pliers are really easy to use.  (The other problem is that the plump wyandotte that I want to eat is very quiet and gentle and I'm having to suppress any sentimental feelings.)
Hebber

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 03:01:03 pm »
Hi, hebber

We've got 5 Hubbards to dispatch soon - not looking forward to that. We have a thing called a dispatcher. We got got from Ascott Smallholding Supplies. Its a bit like pliers. But the last time we killed a cockerel, Dan shot it in the head with the airgun. I held it up by the legs - they go still after a minute, and Dan just shot it - it was instant. Needs two of you though - don't think even a hen woudl be stupid enough to stand still.

hebber

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 02:12:56 pm »
I suppose if I got a dispatcher/ pliers I could hang the bird upside down before using them if they go still.  Found the idea of trying to shoot a chicken thats running around quite funny.  Actually I was quite impressed with my chickens' intelligence yesterday.  I couldn't find them in any of their usual places then found them hiding from the north wind behind my blackhouse wall.  I don't know if that means I'm easily impressed, or that I'm more stupid than chickens when it comes to finding shelter in a storm.

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 05:24:39 pm »
 I never had much experience with poultry but I would have thought that approx 75% kill out for poultry was about right. I had a look at the link Pebbles posted and it is very informative.

Regarding cattle, grass fed cattle reared the way most of us would will kill out at about 55%. Intensively reared cattle kept indoors will yield about 60%. both of these figures are for bone in carcases, so useable meat will be approx 40% of live weight.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 07:10:32 pm »
Hullo. I knew you would know. What about pigs and lambs?

If you want some experience of poultry - come over at the weekend. It's time for the Hubbards to go.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS