Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: outdoor cats  (Read 27970 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: outdoor cats
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2014, 09:26:35 am »
I have found CPL  very good. I don't have cats ( keep sight hounds) but called them a few years ago about  a very poorly colony of feral cats. They went miles to provide traps, spaying, vaccinations all free of charge to me and I wasn't asked for a donation (though I gave one). Now I see only one or two little cats in the lanes, though I've see a stranger or two in the last few weeks so will keep an eye.
So, Marlin45, it may be better to telephone or visit your local CPL not email. Any animal you take on is going to cost you money, they have to be neutered, vaccinated and tested for FELV, it all costs, vets don't do it for nothing and, unlike the RSPCA all donations are spent on the cats welfare.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2014, 12:54:25 am »
Could try a local charity.
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Marlin.45

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Llangadog, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2014, 10:50:45 pm »
I have found CPL  very good. I don't have cats ( keep sight hounds) but called them a few years ago about  a very poorly colony of feral cats. They went miles to provide traps, spaying, vaccinations all free of charge to me and I wasn't asked for a donation (though I gave one). Now I see only one or two little cats in the lanes, though I've see a stranger or two in the last few weeks so will keep an eye.
So, Marlin45, it may be better to telephone or visit your local CPL not email. Any animal you take on is going to cost you money, they have to be neutered, vaccinated and tested for FELV, it all costs, vets don't do it for nothing and, unlike the RSPCA all donations are spent on the cats welfare.

I agree on the RSPCA comment, not a group I deal with if I can avoid it but that's for another thread, and like dogs I have dealt with the Dogs Trust several times and donated for many years. I know where there money goes and agree with what they are trying to do.

Yep we have no problems with the costs but it does annoy me when organisations, charitable or otherwise, suggest means of communications....and don't  ??? We may resort to the old string and bean can  :thinking:

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Upset :(
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2014, 06:09:15 pm »
Syrio has gone missing, we are both really bummed out-he is/was such a dude. He just wasn't there for breakfast yesterday morning. Have searched the local roads/verges and ditches, searched everywhere on site, trudged around the neighbouring sheep fields, alerted neighbours but there's no sign. Such a laid back cat and a brilliant mouser-remember now why I don't usually do cats.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2014, 06:29:05 pm »
Syrio has gone missing, we are both really bummed out-he is/was such a dude. He just wasn't there for breakfast yesterday morning. Have searched the local roads/verges and ditches, searched everywhere on site, trudged around the neighbouring sheep fields, alerted neighbours but there's no sign. Such a laid back cat and a brilliant mouser-remember now why I don't usually do cats.

He may still turn up. One time, after having her for 3 years already, one of my cats went walk about for a week. My boy cat will, every couple of months or so, go away for 2 or 3 nights leaving me a wreck, but he turns up again.

Your boy may just be on a wander. Fingers crossed he comes back to you.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2014, 06:40:24 pm »
thank you, I really hope so-it is foul up here atm so I hope he's skulking around the farm somewhere up the road out of the weather-I know he can feed himself and he's very cautious with cars and strangers (although will gallop full pelt across the gardens and jump up into my arms!).

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2014, 06:42:21 pm »
Yes outdoor cats can go missing for sometime in my experience, one important thing, check all out buildings that are shut....it's easy for them to go exploring when shed doors are open or even have a nap, next thing they are shut in.   I actually have cat holes in all my out door sheds so that they don't get shut in and so that they keep rodents at bay.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2014, 10:42:07 pm »
when my cats have gone missing, its because they have followed me to the tack room and got locked inside. they just cant resist an open door. they also make a bee-line for delivery vans, especially tescos  :innocent: the driver did tell us sometimes they drive off with cats, who then jump out in a completely different area.

hopefully he will be back soon.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2014, 11:11:53 am »
he's not back yet :(

Shygirl, he has done the tack room thing before but I was carrying him when I locked it up on friday night-the other outbuilding is open fronted. There are lots of outbuildings on the neighbouring farm though and I am hoping he's holed up there out of the weather for now.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2014, 12:13:20 pm »
 :hug: hope he is home soon. Whether indoor or outdoor living, it must be a worry for you not knowing where he is.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2014, 12:27:14 pm »
Could you ask your neighbour to just open the doors of his barns for a couple minutes? That tends to be all they need to make a dash out if they have been shut in somewhere.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2014, 02:13:21 pm »
he's back :) I got a couple of texts from neighbours on monday saying they'd seen him at a farm further away (although not that far as crow flies) on sunday. He's have to cross a burn to get there so maybe the weather caught him out. he turned up yesterday morning demanding food (I've been to Mull for work).very pleased he's back, thanks for all your encouraging words  :thumbsup:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2014, 03:26:28 pm »
Great news  :cat:

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2014, 04:47:54 pm »
Glad he is back.

Our cat has disappeared for 3 or 4 days a couple of times recently, timing his return just as we are starting to get worried and demanding his favourite food as a treat that we 'owe' him as we are so glad to see him back.

I have my suspicions that he is cynically manipulating us by spending a couple of days in a neighbours house (probably eating their food and sleeping infront of their fire) until we start to worry about him starving and freezing in the rain so that he can manipulate us into giving him treats when he gets home!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2014, 10:55:40 am »
Very glad to hear that the wanderer has returned. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS