Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: outdoor cats  (Read 27977 times)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: outdoor cats
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2013, 01:47:55 pm »
They look just like my 2 black and white farm cats :eyelashes: , lucky little scallywags ;D .

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 05:08:17 pm »
The one at the bottom looks just like my Max. :)

I'm sure they'll settle in very quickly. Food, warm duvet, someone talking to them quietly...they'll soon decide you're okay. Wait till they notice there's a nice warm kitchen too.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2013, 05:09:13 pm »
pretty cats, congrats :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2013, 02:20:34 pm »
Just catching up (been away for a few days) - your wee ones look gorgeous jaykay!   :love: :cat: 

If the info about toxo only being shed for 2 weeks is right, then if everyone kept all new cats in quarantine for at least 2 weeks, would that do the trick?  (And jaykay's doing 3 weeks, so hers would be fine.)

Our farm vet always advised to avoid kittens, as that was when the risk of shedding viable infectious agent was at its highest - so rehoming part-grown or adult cats would be ok.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2013, 07:41:03 pm »

If the info about toxo only being shed for 2 weeks is right, then if everyone kept all new cats in quarantine for at least 2 weeks, would that do the trick?  (And jaykay's doing 3 weeks, so hers would be fine.)

Our farm vet always advised to avoid kittens, as that was when the risk of shedding viable infectious agent was at its highest - so rehoming part-grown or adult cats would be ok.

That would work *if* they had been infected, so they would need to be exposed to the parasite first then kept in for a while. If they were new kittens and kept in then they would still get infected when they start going out and hunting and then be shedding for a few weeks.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

AJ

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2014, 11:24:26 am »
Well, we have moved into our new house and gained some new additions to the family. We have 2 lovely cats, one tabby and one tortoiseshell and white currently living in the shed whilst they get used to their new surroundings. They came from a home (via a small local rescue) where they were predominately outside cats but did come into a conservatory every night. They are very friendly, came already neutered and were absolutely free! Whilst looking for them I also came across 2 long haired Persian cross sisters who I couldn't resist and they have taken up residence next to the fire, they definitely are not outside cats - far too posh for that!! My question is - how long do I leave the outside cats in the shed for - they have been in 3 weeks now with a big window to look out of in order to get used to their new home, is it safe to let them out yet? Also the 2 indoor cats have been here 2 weeks, how long would you all suggest for them before I let them out to explore?

Jaykay - how are your new arrivals doing?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2014, 12:26:32 pm »
Excellent  :thumbsup:

I was told to keep mine penned for 4 weeks before letting them out. Are you able to keep them secure whilst letting them see outside, so they can work out how to get back to the shed?

Mine are doing well thank you, they appear morning and evening for feeding, and I sometimes see them about the place when I'm here during the day. They curl up in a heap in the hayshed on wet nights. The rat and mouse population has shrunk considerably  :thumbsup:

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2014, 10:01:32 pm »
finally got our outdoor cat :) been here a couple of weeks-on his first evening out on sunday, he caught two mice in under an hour (he brought them to me  ;D )

He's 3, was found straying and Lothian Cat Rescue took him in. After being given the run around by three different CPL branches, I can recommend Lothian-realistic people and a lovely place. He's pretty laid back, friendly and not at all bothered by our setter. We've named him Syrio (Game of Thrones fans will understand).

As an older cat thats been straying and hunting, he's been exposed to toxo in the past (and a friend tested him for me to check he's seroconverted) so the chances of him still shedding are extremely low to negligible.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:15:37 pm by lord flynn »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2014, 12:21:59 am »
He's a beauty  :love: :cat:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2014, 01:30:35 am »
He does look like a strapping chap. I saw the layout and wondered if it was LCR, I'm just down  the road from them and volunteer there occasionally. Can certainly vouch for them being great people to get a cat from.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2014, 07:22:27 am »
Very nice. I'm impressed that he's so friendly he brings you the mice!

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2014, 11:01:39 am »
Lucky Syrio  :cat: and lucky you too ;D .  Our outdoor pair leave their presents at the front door - shocks the visitors a bit though :roflanim:

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2014, 12:00:54 pm »
thankyou :) he's obviously been a pet at one point-he seems to be part cat and part dog as he comes to call and jumps up onto fence posts/counters etc seemingly on command. Was also out hunting on the rain yesterday morning so very impressed!

Marlin.45

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Llangadog, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2014, 11:27:33 pm »
We  are looking for a couple of cats and initially tried the local CPL. After three emails I have given up with them. Zero response to any enquiry and we are now looking for a couple of kittens through Gumtree. Even with the initial neutering costs etc. it'll be cheaper than the CPL donations (if they bothered to respond)  :innocent:

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2014, 07:35:06 am »
RSPCA also rehome... advertise in various magazines with feral cats to rehome.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS