Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: outdoor cats  (Read 27971 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: outdoor cats
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2013, 04:05:57 pm »
Three extremely wild cats installed in the pen in the goat byre.

No idea what I've got - whether male or female. Pretty, two black and white, one grey and white. They've all 'gone to ground' - it's going to take them a while to get used to all the new sounds and living companions (the chooks are often in there too during the day, idle beasts.

I can see a couple of black splodges which is someone's side, one is behind the sleeping boxes and one must be completely under the piece of duvet as I can see neither hide nor hair of him/her.   

Yep, researching into toxoplasma, they only shed oocysts for a fortnight or so, during their first infection. So the chances are that these are over that, as they are feral captures and I'd guess are around a year old.

They'd been in the shelter for months apparently. So I'm feeling that even if they don't have long lives here, their lives will be happier for coming here.

Hope they settle in due course and become a bit friendly  :cat:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2013, 06:56:54 pm »
 :fc: your trio of tigers settle and get to work JK

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2013, 07:01:02 pm »
well there is something to be said for indoor cats too.  iv just found mouse poo in the kitchen cupboards for the first time so hoping the cats will sort it out for me. left the cupboard doors open.......but they are sat on the couch at the minute   :roflanim: :roflanim:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 07:53:20 pm »
I keep directing my house cats towards the 'dog-room' cupboards which are full of sacks of dog food and mouse poo.

Said cats just roll over to have their tummies rubbed, and yawn  :D

Outdoor cats haven't moved an inch in 8 hours.   :o

I hope the poor scared babies come out overnight and eat at least.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2013, 08:24:29 pm »
my feral cats were terrified when they first came here. they did calm down after a while. would come for their food but would hate being stroked, til the end.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2013, 08:26:50 pm »
Good luck with them. My Gems was so scared of people that when we brought her home she would visibly shake if you just looked her way. She likes belly rubs now. Give them time and food is your friend. They soon learn where it comes from!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2013, 08:29:08 pm »
Thanks all  :cat:

AJ

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2013, 08:58:50 pm »
very interested in this thread, we are just in the process of moving to a new house with lots of outbuildings and rats! so are looking for a couple of outdoor cats to keep their numbers down, the decision i have to make is do i get a couple of adult cats from someone trying to rehome locally who are already spayed but are wild and i am worried that they will just run away when they are let out or do i get a couple of kittens from a local farm who are friendlier but will obviously need speyed?

Silkiechick - i am in mid wales so might be interested in what your friend has available to rehome?

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2013, 09:16:43 pm »
If they lived in the area previously then they very well may try and go back home.

Generally keep the cat in for a week or so, feeding it and changing the litter tray. Then expose it to the outdoors. With mine I always make sure the first trips outside are shortly before dinner time, as then they come back for the food (which by now they are used to). I tend to do that for a few days then give them free rein.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 06:51:08 am »
I've been told to pen these ones for three weeks, and they don't come from the local area.

AJ, if you contact your local rescue place, they'll snap your hand off at the offer to rehome two barn cats, since feral cats are very hard to rehome. And they'll be neutered.

silkiechick

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2013, 09:37:22 pm »
[quote author=

Silkiechick - i am in mid wales so might be interested in what your friend has available to rehome?

just message me when you are ready I,ll pass you her number.You need to have a secure shed or outbuilding something to keep them in for 3/4 weeks with a litter tray & food & water available & then just leave them alone after then you can just leave the door open & they will venture out & usually stay put as long as you have food out for them.I have an open window in a shed with dry cat food in a dish & they come in & out for food   

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 11:06:39 pm »

Outdoor cats haven't moved an inch in 8 hours.   :o

They will :cat: ;D :cat: - but not when you are looking :cat: :P :cat: !!!
Patience and time, patience and time :-* :cat: :-* :cat: :-* :cat:
Thanks for giving them a chance :thumbsup:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2013, 12:32:05 pm »
I went and had my cup of tea with them last night - just sat and chatted quietly. #1 and #2 came out a bit and listened.

#3 watched me milk this morning. They are all very pretty, and also I can tell them apart.

They are eating and using the litter tray, when I'm not there. I think they're doing really well, bless them  :cat:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2013, 12:35:02 pm »
awww, sounds like good progress

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2013, 12:47:05 pm »
They'll be on your knee in no time  :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS