Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orchard prep  (Read 2641 times)

Whistlin

• Joined May 2009
Orchard prep
« on: November 28, 2013, 04:31:18 pm »
I'm doing some prep work (stock fencing, shelterbelt planting etc) for an orchard that will be planted early in the New Year.

When it comes to the fruit trees, I will need to cut a 1m2 area for each tree. I will have to do this quite a few times, and I wondered whether anyone had experience of using a turf cutter and could advise whether they are robust enough to cope with being used in a bog standard uneven tufty field, or whether they should really only be used on nice level lawns.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Orchard prep
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 04:40:09 pm »
don't know about uneven, but they don't like working in the wet or if the ground is hard, so on a frozen day etc.

if your not saving the turf an edging iron to slice into stripes and rip it up with a mattock.

each 1m square is maybe 15 mins work and its neat and tidy, you then catch your breath from matock swinging whilst you barrow all the crud away!!!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 10:40:09 pm »
We didn't bother clearing the turf that far around. We dug up the holes big enough for each tree and then once it was in, put a mulch mat around each tree. This has killed off most of the vegetation around each tree anyway for a lot less hassle! I did start clearing each tree surround by hand and after two realised there was no way that a) I could manage all the ones I needed to do before spring and b) even if I cleared them once, I wouldn't have time to maintain them. The mulch mats have needed very little attention although they have been mowed at the edges so they're getting smaller and the poultry like to pull them apart.

Remember to get tree guards ready too. I cut sections of chicken wire to go around the base of each tree which allowed the air flow for ventilation but keeps the rabbits off (sadly not the geese though).

H

Whistlin

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 07:19:21 am »
Thanks both - that's really useful.

@Bloomer - I was afraid this would be the answer! I think you're absolutely right though and doing it properly is the only real option. It will have to be a slow and steady job over a few days though, as there are quite a few trees to go in.

@HesterF - That's interesting. I hadn't considered doing it that way round - despite having already ordered 1m2 mulch mats. Stakes, ties and tree guards are also ready and waiting. Fortunately the area is too far away for the chickens, and it is Ryeland safe, unless they conspire to form a pyramid of sheep to allow one to nip over the top of the fence.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 08:26:26 am »
The idea of a pyramid of sheep made me smile!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS