Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feather Pecking  (Read 2288 times)

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
Feather Pecking
« on: November 22, 2013, 08:58:26 pm »
Hi.  I have a lovely little White Star who is about 25 weeks old.  She is completely crazy for food all of the time and has just started running after the others plucking the feathers out of their rear ends.  Believe it or not, she then eats the feathers!  Is this normal?  She has been laying for a few weeks now and otherwise seems fine, well and happy.
Any clues?  thanks, Catherine :-\

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Feather Pecking
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 09:13:59 pm »
give them all some extra protein-some white fish/tuna or even cat food, mealworms etc. you can also use a spray (just used some Nettex anti-peck with good effect but have also used gentian violet spray) to discourage.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 09:58:46 pm »
She's short on protein as said. Feathers have loads of it and she has found them to be a good source. I've heard of people feeding cat food.

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 10:37:00 pm »
Thank you SO much.  I'll have a look through the cupboards to see what I've got!
Just another quick question....how often would you give them protein?  thanks again - Catherine

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 12:12:56 am »
Not sure but I would think ad lib. Animals have a superb ability to self medicate, which I suppose is what she is doing.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 05:55:00 pm »
My girls have done the feather eating thing every time we introduce new hens. It has stopped as soon as the new members are accepted so I think it can also be a show of dominance.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS