Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much for a butchered lamb?  (Read 10280 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: How much for a butchered lamb?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 09:14:19 am »
I charge £11 / kilo for Ryeland lamb, as half lambs.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 09:16:01 am »
I think the guy selling just has fairly ordinary Southdowns - but I would like to support him by buying if I can anyway. It arrives this morning so all I have to do is clear some space in my freezer next to my piggies!  :excited:

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 11:01:35 am »
Nothing ordinary about the Southdown, it often comes at the top of people tastiest lamb. That and Portland. They also make a perfect, compact meaty joint, so Im sure you will you enjoy it  :thumbsup:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 11:06:29 am »
My local butcher sells half/whole lamb for £2.50/lb. All reared on their farm, so full traceability. Why should I be more expensive than them?

My lambs are £70/half, this year weights varied from 9.5kg to 14kg per side. Nobody quibbles, everybody is happy with their lamb that they received. OH's sister sells overfat lambs per lb instead, so people are paying for fat. That is wrong IMO. I know my friends and family get a good deal on their lamb, everybody has said what good value and excellent meat it is, so the proof is in the pudding. I couldn't make a profit if I sold them for any less.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 03:48:13 pm »
We are all free to sell at whatever price we can get or want to charge I guess but I think I am a professional and want to be paid accordingly.
So I charge my time at £15/hr (not many self employed professionals work for that little) and record how many hours I work . That gives me a price I want/need for my product

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 06:23:59 pm »
Nothing ordinary about the Southdown, it often comes at the top of people tastiest lamb. That and Portland. They also make a perfect, compact meaty joint, so Im sure you will you enjoy it  :thumbsup:

I don't know anything about breeds of sheep - so thank you very much for that!  Have to say - the meat didn't weigh as much as I'd like, but the meat looks absolutely fantastic so I am looking forward to my roast tomorrow!

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 09:37:36 pm »
Just out of interest, how much meat did you get back in weight? Did you get the liver, kidneys and heart included? Was it cut to your specification, breast rolled or minced, rack or cutlets, both shoulders/legs halved or whole? In response to a previous comment on here, theres not many farmers getting £15 an hour as standard, It may be the going rate for professional people, but it certainly aint for the agricultural industry!

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2013, 10:36:04 pm »
Just out of interest, how much meat did you get back in weight? Did you get the liver, kidneys and heart included? Was it cut to your specification, breast rolled or minced, rack or cutlets, both shoulders/legs halved or whole? In response to a previous comment on here, theres not many farmers getting £15 an hour as standard, It may be the going rate for professional people, but it certainly aint for the agricultural industry!

You have to demand £15/hr and be worth it
Plenty of farmers are worth this amount ---I just try to make sure I get it. I have a system that is extensive and lets me earn a proper amount
Many farmers say that they farm for the lifestyle but this is no excuse for earning a pittance ---the lawyer/banker/doctor also like their lifestyles but don't work for nothing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS